Introduction

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Tabby
USDA Zone: 4a

Introduction

Post by Tabby »

My name's Diane and I love gardening! I live in northeastern Ontario, in gardening zone 4a.

I've been reading the posts and find it all very interesting and informative. Thanks to Ed B who told me about this site, when I asked him some hosta questions on my flickr site.

My husband and I bought a home in the country and moved here in the fall of 2007. The previous owner left a small perrenial garden (that must have been only a year old at the most) with about six perrenials in it. I didn't know what most of them were, so it was a lot of fun looking them up in my book and identifying them the following year. My favourites include a purple gayfeather (liatris) and a scabiosa. I'd never had either of these before and love them.

My first fall here I started a perrenial bed in the backyard and made a 'five-year plan' to have it go all across the back. Last summer, I had the incredible luck to receive gifts of perrenials from two friends. (In one case a trunkload and in the other a pick-up truck box full.) Now it's my second summer here and my back perrenial bed has reached it's five year goal.

My favourite perrenials include peonies, lilies-of-the-valley, lychnis (I have the magenta coloured maltese cross/ragged robin), delphinium, and phlox (just to name a few - I love them all.)

Some of the perrenials that I was given last year, that are new to me, are crane's bill geranium, several new varieties of phlox, iris, and daylily (Catherine Woodbury, Pandora's Box, and Missouri Beauty), sedum (autumn joy), perrenial lobelia (white and blue), white coneflower, and fall asters (I believe they are Michaelmas Daisy).

I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about gardening here.

Diane
"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done."
newtohosta-no more

Re: Introduction

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome, Diane! Sounds like you have a beautiful garden and have been able to accomplish it in a very short time. Congrats!
We're happy to have you with us and I hope you will enjoy this site. Lots and lots of very nice people here and we always who are willing to share their knowledge and advice. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Hi Diane

You forgot the most important perennial of them all, the daylily :lol:
I only mention them because it's my specialty, check out the daylily forum :wink:
Glad that you decided to join, and I think you will like it here
Ed
Tabby
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by Tabby »

Thanks for the welcome, Joan and Ed. Ed - I have five different kinds of daylilies. Only my Stella de Oro has started blooming now, but I have buds on my Catherine Woodbury and my good ol' orange daylilies.
"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done."
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Just teasing you Diane
I have about 2000 daylilies growing here, mostly all seedlings, mostly all tet's, about a week or two away from bloom season here.
Nothing can describe the feeling of seeing a seedling bloom for the first time, of course there are a few that you run get the shovel before anyone else sees them, but there is always a couple of nice ones too.
Ed
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

You should have a wonderful time here We are a really loving family of folks here. Find the forum you are interested in and share your thoughts as you wish or ask questions and OC bets you will surprised at the number of replies you get. We like nothing better than sharing our expience , good or bad with others........Really glad to have you with us............An Old Coot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Welcome to HG!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply