Avid gardener new to board

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
bettilou
USDA Zone: 6

Avid gardener new to board

Post by bettilou »

I found this discussion board last night while looking for information on the hosta virus and ended up reading for 90 minutes. I knew I just had to get my hosta pictures sent in. I'll post those on that thread.

I've started working in too many different sections of my yard and would like to have full lush woodland gardens. I'm also looking to put in a scented retreat in an area that receives only 4 hours of morning sun. I'm pretty good at getting plants to grow and be healthy (worm compost is my secret) but I'm terrible at design. I dig and move my plants around every year. It's exhausting. I try to incorporate too many types of plants, or those that just don't like my yard. I'm technically zone 6 but only buy plants that survive in zone 5.

I'd love feedback on your favorite shade garden design books/websites. I had an old catalogue from Shady Oaks nursery from about 2002 which had great pictures of hostas and shade gardens. I've since misplaced it.

I hope to learn a lot from all of the other gardeners out there.
Bettilou
newtohosta-no more

Re: Avid gardener new to board

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome, Bettilou! Sounds like you really stay busy with the gardening. I have a difficult time with "design" also. I just don't have the flair for it, but there are pleny on this site that do. There are several forums at this site where you could post a thread and ask for suggestions for a design. There are many that would be more than willing to give you excellent advice about plants to use and groupings that look great together. I'll look forward to reading some of your future posts and see what kinds of designs you decide to use. :wink: :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

You should have a wonderful time here We are a really loving family of folks here. Find the forum you are interested in and share your thoughts as you wish or ask questions and OC bets you will surprised at the number of replies you get. We like nothing better than sharing our expience , good or bad with others........Really glad to have you with us............An Old Coot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Welcome to HG!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply