hello :-)

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
audre
USDA Zone: 5

hello :-)

Post by audre »

Just wanted to say hello.

Looking forward to hanging out here as this looks like a wonderful and friendly place!

Somewhat new to 'serious' hosta gardening though I've always enjoyed horticulture in general, especially learning about hows and whys of things.

For a compulsive collector like me knowing that there are 7000+ cultivars of hosta out there at this moment is both terrifying and exciting -- thank goodness there are quite a few drawfs :eek:.

Years ago I used to collect 'things' -- antiques, vases and all that kind of stuff -- I've learned since then I can have just as much fun collecting information. So, while trying to ID some of my old hostas I kinda started collecting hosta information as well. I've been on a mission of sorts regarding hostas - trying to find out as much as I can and sort it all out so it makes sense. Since I'm a serious computer dweeb too, I've been working getting some of it up on my website to share with everyone else.

This year I've decided to try growing hostas from seeds and perhaps even trying to 'Frankenstein' some plants via tissue culture propagation. I'm really interested in the process of hybridizing and sporting and can't wait to experiment and 'see what happens'.

Peace,
audre
newtohosta-no more

Re: hello :-)

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome to Hallson's, audre! Do you have room for 7000 hostas? :lol: If you do....lucky you. If you don't....don't worry, because several hundred might satisfy that urge to collect for a while. :lol:
We're happy to have you here joining us and I hope you'll enjoy this site. Lots and lots of hostaholics on here to enable or encourage your hosta addiction. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
audre
USDA Zone: 5

Re: hello :-)

Post by audre »

Thanks Joan, for the warm welcome!

I wish I had room for all 7000+ cultivars! Alas, I'll have to make due with a couple hundred, I think.

I read in a few of the hosta postings about spouses who become alarmed at the quickly disappearing grass and miraculous appearance of new hosta beds. I actually laughed out loud at those because I recently had my husband make a point to tell me I am not to remove any more of our lawn :P But you know I figure it's always easier to get forgiveness than permission... guess I'll find out!

Anyway thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to hanging out with some fellow gardeners.

Peace,
audre
New Topic Post Reply