Welcome to irawon

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
newtohosta-no more

Welcome to irawon

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome to Hallson's! You've found the right place to discuss hostas. Lots and lots of very knowledgeable people at this site, so I hope you'll stick around and join in lots of discussions. Enjoy! :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
irawon
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Welcome to irawon

Post by irawon »

Thank you for your warm welcome, 'New to Hostas'.

I happened onto this Hallson site as well as Dave's Garden several times while researching hostas and HVX.

I started my hosta garden about three years ago (2007) at my husband's suggestion because he was having trouble cutting the grass around exposed spruce tree roots. This was before I learned about hosta virus X and that the competing tree roots of spruce trees would make hosta growth a challenge. At the time (2007) I owned only 6 varieties of hosta and had become discouraged because of slug/earwig damage to them.

I started with the oldies and then progressed to some of the newer varieties. I now own 155 different cultivars; this is hardly noteworthy since I understand that some members have well over 800.

I started a new bed a couple of days ago and believe I also have space in my existing beds for some more small hostas. I also like heucheras and ferns and have acquired quite a few of these perennials (shade plants) as well.

I wish a Canadian could purchase hostas from the USA more easily or that Hallson's would open a branch here in lovely OTTAWA, Canada.

I've enjoyed the expertise of members at Hallson's and their gorgeous hosta pictures. Everyone seems extremely patient with newbies and so very helpful. Their pictures of what their hostas look like without enhancement have helped me make choices.

I went out today (October 5 2010) and took some pictures of those hostas that have withstood the cooler weather and was actually pleasantly surprised that some of my hostas seemed more mature in picture than in real life, if that makes sense. I'm a hooked hosta collector now.

Although my husband says he's not interested in hostas, he tours the hosta beds on a daily basis...that means he doesn't really want to care for them as he prefers to golf. He does help me on occasion, though.

I've really enjojed the many features of this forum, since I joined. Ira.
newtohosta-no more

Re: Welcome to irawon

Post by newtohosta-no more »

It doesn't take much to become a hostaholic, Ira. For the most part hostas are easy to grow, add variety, and are very forgiving.
Glad you found us here and I can understand how you'd like to have a Hallson's branch in your neck of the woods. They truly are the best place ,imo, to buy hostas. Great plants and great customer service. You won't find nicer people to deal with. It's too bad that sending plants across the border is expensive and difficult. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply