New to the gardening forum - from Lancaster, PA

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jerryshenk
USDA Zone: 6a

New to the gardening forum - from Lancaster, PA

Post by jerryshenk »

To expand on the subject, we (wife and I and three teenage kids) moved into an old house with a big yard just over a year ago. I've always tinkered in the garden a bit with a few flowers, some trees, etc. This new place is almost three acres with over 100 trees (chestnut, walnut, pecan, holly, pine and a few dogwood) and overgrown gardens backing up to a river. It's a georgeous place...if you could see past the overgrowth;) One of our friends said, "Are you nuts?" when we were talking about moving. We've worked hard on the place, I've getting to use the chain saw that I've had owned since my 20's. I now have callous to protect my "computer nerd hands". It's been a good year! We're learing a lot about plants in general, hosta, daylilies, iris, tulips, daffodils.

...and I dabble in photography.
pano_backyard_pp by jerryshenk, on Flickr
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Re: New to the gardening forum - from Lancaster, PA

Post by ogrefcf »

Welcome! Wow, three acres. I would love that. Have to put those photo skills to work and show us some pictures of your yard.

Owen
Owen
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

Be careful what you ask for;) I have WAY too many pictures!

1 - Here is a rather representative "before" shot. Lots of overgrowth but, a solid base to start from.
DSC_20100430_133444 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

2 - This is the same area from the other side. Lots of azalea and rhododendron but, a bit tangled with weeds.
DSC_20100502_082050 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

3 - back yard with a vine covered chestnut tree. The yard more what I saw than the first picture...I just skipped over all the work;) Some of these trees were going to be killed by the vines.
DSC_20100502_080108 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

4 - we have 5 mature holly trees.
DSC_20110112_095044 by jerryshenk, on Flickr

5 - occasionally some deer come by...not often at all, I have only seen deer on 3 or 4 occasions but I see tracks more often
DSC_20110122_124448_6_deer_in_snow by jerryshenk, on Flickr

6 - The river in fall - And of course, I can't take ANY credit for this. Somebody may have planted the trees, most likely birds and wind but it was WAY before my time. I just get to walk out the door and enjoy it.
DSC_20101023_090544 by jerryshenk, on Flickr
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Welcome, Jerry. Do you know about the Susquehanna Hosta Society? It's a spin-off from the Delaware Valley Hosta Society that would love new members!

Good luck with that beautiful property.

David
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

I do, David. Actually, I heard about that first at the tea at Wheatland for the Susquehanna Garden Club Tour. Prior to that, I didn't know there was such a think...or any hosta societies for that matter;) I've been going around taking some pictures for their brochure and my wife and I have been looking at gardens for ideas.
ogrefcf
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by ogrefcf »

Wow :o , jealousy doesn't even begin to describe my feelings. Beautiful land and pictures, thanks for sharing.
Owen
jerryshenk

Post by jerryshenk »

We definitely are blessed to be living here. The former owner just couldn't keep up so the place didn't show well otherwise, it never would have worked for us financially.
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

wow from here too. You've posted some great photos but I especially love the one of the river.
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome to Hallson's and let me add that I am jealous also of your three acres and beautiful views! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pics. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply