I'm baaaaack!

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

I'm baaaaack!

Post by Bob Scott »

Hey folks! It's been a while. Moved since I was last on a few yrs ago and it's time to start doing the outside. I just put in a hosta order to Chris. Now I have to figure out how to keep all the dern rabbits off my plants.
Corner house with a small back yard and two German Shepherds mean all the landscaping is outside the fence.
Shade garden is between a silver maple and a tulip poplar. :eek:
doubt I'll be on as much as in the past but a once a day visit isn't out of range....I think. :D
All is good here!
For those that don't know me I was known as OED (Old Earth dog)in my past Hallson life.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: I'm baaaaack!

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome back Old Earth Dog! It is great to hear from you :) So what have you been up to all this time?

Good luck growing plants around that silver maple. Is that really the only place you have shade?
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I heard Goose called you and asked how you were. Lots to catch up on, sure did miss you! (((OED))) Photos of the German Sheperds please!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Chris_W wrote:Welcome back Old Earth Dog! It is great to hear from you :) So what have you been up to all this time?

Good luck growing plants around that silver maple. Is that really the only place you have shade?

Hey Chris
Pretty much just life in general. My FIL pass last May at 98. He had been living with us for aobut 7-8 yrs and the 1 1/12 before he passed was a challenge. We did get to keep him home till the end though.
My shade garden at the old house was also under a silver maple. I thought I might have a bit of luck when I moved but NOOOOOOOOOOO!
Between the silver maple and the Tulip Poplar I seem to get more roots out of a newly dug hole then what should fit in there.
The front of the house will also be somewhat of a hosta area. That's under a Pin Oak.

KHT
Lucy checks up on me every so often. It's nice to have kept that lifeline with Hallson.
Not sure if I had the second GSD before I left. Older one, Thunder is 8. I originally trained him for cadaver work on a SAR team. Since he's earned his AKC CD, CDX, HT and his BH, Sch I, Sch II, SchIII, TT and CGC.
Younger one Trooper. He's 4 inMay. He has his TT and CGC. If I get off my lazy butt I want to get Thunder's UD title and get, at least, Trooper's CD.
I'm horrible about taking pictures of my dogs or anything else for that matter but on rwdc.org there are a lot of pics of Thunder when I belonged to that club. Click on Past dogs (Thunder) and also any of the trial pictures before '07. Not many pics of Trooper anywhere but I see what I can do.
We lost our JRT Pete this past year. 16 yrs old, blind in one eye and a bad back but he was a typical JRT. Nucking Futs to the end! He was the last of my hunting terriers cause I'm to dern old to do all that digging anymore. :lol: ((((KHT)))) :wink:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

OED. :D :D :D

So good to see you back home.
Yes, kathleen like to speak, so I have followed you a tiny bit :wink:

Can't you start with a big digging and then lining out the needed area for some great hostas :hmm:

So you are still doing the resque dog work. Fact I think of you every time I see a resque dog in woork :wink:

Why do you have a new name ???? We know you as OED and my old brain...... :-?
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, Well, Well.......I get this message over at FaceBook from Pia......

You beeter move you a$$ to the WELCOME CENTER AT HALLSON, just look for my post.... :lol: :lol:

Hey Bro!! Glad to see you!! I have been really bad at keeping in touch with people myself....It's like gardening and me are so not good.....I need a group to come out this spring....but that won't happen........I say that each year, too....I love talking to you Bob, and am glad to see you!!

Thanks pia for the heads up!! :wink:
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Hi Pia
No longer involved in the K9 search and rescue.
No particular reason about the name change. I'll happily still answer to OED.
I though about lining the holes simlar to how a lot of bamboo is done...but that sounds like a lot of work.
Deep watering and lifting every 2-3 years seems to work fairly well at the old house. I'm gonna go with that and keep my fingers crossed.

Hey Sis
You may as well take that off face book. I only look at that when the daughters tell me that have a load of pics. Then it's usually to chastise her for posting pics of the kids. To many creeps hang out on that stuff. :lol:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Pia sent that in a PM ....so, it was okay! :lol:

Naaaaa, I love FB.....and I also have a lot of learning stuff too....gluten free, doggie, healthy eating......plus the groups I am in like the rock and roll lounge, papillon group and just so much there......I know, I know.... :beer:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Welcome back, Bob! As you can see, you've been missed. :) I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of your FIL. How wonderful that you were able to keep him home until the end. I'm sure that was a huge comfort for him.
I'm also sorry about Pete. It's always hard to lose our loved ones, whether they be human or furry.
Congrats on the move and I hope you'll be very happy in your new location.
Hope to see you more here at Hallsons. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Good to see friendly faces/names. Just goes to show the loyalty and family at Hallson. Well deserved! I feel comfortable already. :wink:
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi OED!!!

I was just thinking of u the other day and wondering how u and the pups were doing.
I'm sorry to hear about your FIL, but it was nice that u were able to keep him with u.

When Bob Scott posted in my thread I didn't know who it was and I was going to ask if anyone knew how OED was. Then I read another thread and got the scoop on your new name. *S*

Is your new place far away from where your old house was?

Couldn't u just cut down the Silver maple and build a pergola until the new tree could grow big enough to shade them?

Debbie *waving*

Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Hey Debbie!
I'm about ten miles from the old place but it's like a different world here. The old place was gang and drug infested with a crime rate to match. In the year before I left we had 4-5 murders within a couple of miles of the house. Since I left one of my neighbors was murdered. Dog walkers were Pits on logging chains. Here it's Goldens and Labs with cute neck scarves. I just got to old argue with idiots. :lol:
Unfortunately the silver maple is in the neighbor's yard. Either way I'm past the point of waiting for a new tree to grow. 67 in a month or so. :eek: :lol:
When I wanted to get back on the Hallson forum I couldn't remember my log in info so I just started new with my "normal" name out of habit. I belong to a couple of dog training forums and moderate one of them. Real names only! Some seriously crazy folks! Not the nice folks like here on Hallson. :wink:
New Topic Post Reply