flowering hostas

This is the welcome area. Post here to introduce yourself to the forum and to welcome new members.

Moderator: Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
cpenn12
USDA Zone: 5b

flowering hostas

Post by cpenn12 »

Hello...I became interested in hosta gardening last summer and started a small garden in mid-August on the north side of my house that is mostly shade thorough the day. I started with about 20 plants of various sizes, about half I started as bare root plantings and the other half from one gallon planters. My hostas weathered the northern Illinois winter with no problem and have been growing at a wonderful rate of development. I know my hostas are not yet full grown, but I was wondering when I may expect them to produce flowers? Thanks for any help in advance.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: flowering hostas

Post by Chris_W »

Hello,

Flowering maturity will vary greatly depending on how old the original plants were. Some will flower in a season or two and others might take longer. Also hostas flower at very different times of year, depending on the variety, so there is still time for your plants to send up flower scapes if they happened to be late flowering varieties.

In general, though, if they are happy where they are at and growing good this summer then some might flower next year, the there is a good chance the second season after planting and a possibility this year.

Hope that helps.

Chris
cpenn12
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: flowering hostas

Post by cpenn12 »

Thanks very much for your respnse. Your comments are much in line with all I have learned to date.
New Topic Post Reply