Clematis Wilt?? Updated for 2005!

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Clematis Wilt?? Updated for 2005!

Post by JaneG »

I have two young clematis, one planted last year and one this year. One has two stems climbing straight up a trellis. The other has one very long stem. They both seemed healthy, one was filled with blooms, the other had buds.

About two weeks ago I noticed the buds and leaves at the top of one stem were hanging down, looking droopy. The other stem looked fine and continued blooming. I couldn't find any damage on any part of the stem. I cut off the droopy dying stem. The other stem of the same plant continues to do fine.

Then this weekend I noticed the same thing on the other clematis. Grrrrr!! So I checked the internet and it sounds like Clematis Wilt. So I cut off the entire affected stem.

OED or others, do you have this problem and what do you do about it. The internet said to cut off the affected stem and then sterilize your tools. They also said it rarely kills an entire plant. I hope this is true!

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by JaneG on Jul 14, 2005 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I HAVE seen it kill an entire plant.

First of all, a preventive measure is to plant your clematis 2-4" deeper than it is in the pot in which you bought it. If you received a bare-root plant, plant it with the crown at least two inches beneath soil surface.

At the first sign of trouble, I would drench the plant with a fungicide, besides cutting off any affected stems. Fungicides (Captan, Benamyl and others) tend to be highly toxic, so be sure to carefully read the label first and follow instructions.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Ditto what Victoria said! I always plant mine deep. New shoots will come back from the ground. I haven't used any fungicides on mine. Just cut and toss (not on the compost pile). I've never had one die completely. I like to believe it's because of the deep planting.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

They willl come back in a year or 2
It is a fungus, but at least here we have no cure for it, it do not spread to other plants.
Clematis like deep planting, but I do not think it help with the wilt... some of them just get it :wink:

Never seen it on an old plant, have you ???
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I agree that the deep planting wont help prevent it, but the plant has a better chance of recovery. The oldest plants that I have that get it are 5-6 yrs old. None of my older ones get it. :hmm: Never really thought about that!
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I have had a couple of clematis die of 'wilt' but they both came back strongly the next year. I have never used chemicals
Pia ... very interesting ... you know... you are right!!!!!
I have never had wilt on an established plant
Hagley Hybrid died of wilt in each of its first two years.
It is now as strong as a horse :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I had a huge several year old plant that thickly covered a trellis that was about 4 feet wide and 8 feet high that got it, died back completely, and came back strong the next year. I didn't use any chemicals - actually I just figured it was a goner :???:
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks, I feel much better now. I cut off the "wilted" parts of the plants and they both still have at least one stem that wasn't affected (at least not yet). My fingers are crossed!!
JaneG
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Just reporting in that I cut off the "wilted" part of both plants and they seem to be thriving! Thanks for the help and advice!!!!!! :D
JaneG
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

The Story Continues . . .

The poor clematis struggled the remainder of last year. This spring he took off, then wilted again right away.

So I took your advice, cut it off at ground level, dug the whole thing up and planted it deeply in a well-amended hole on the west side of the house, right near the spigot so I can keep it well-watered.

It immediately shot up 4 new stems and is blooming already, and showing no signs of wilt. Not bad considering it had to start over just 2 months ago!!

Thanks all!!!
Attachments
It's blooming, and you can see more buds behind the bloom!
It's blooming, and you can see more buds behind the bloom!
RevivedClem.jpg
JaneG
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Jane, it could still wilt next year, but the deep planting will help it send up stronger shoots. :wink:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

This all great news! WTG JANE! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply