Are Morning Glories invasive?

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

DD

Are Morning Glories invasive?

Post by DD »

Hi Everyone,
I'm a newbie here, so hope this isnt a dumb question. I've been buying seeds galore and have bought several packs of morning glories. I've heard from some that they can be invasive and others say no problem with them at all. I plan to grow some in a container. Are there some varieties that aren't invasive? The flowers are just beautiful and I couldnt resist.

Also, I was thinking if they weren't invasive, I would plant them in my garden. Is that a bad idea? Also, do hummingbirds like these flowers? Thanks so much, DD[/b]
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I won't grow them as I don't care to have them all over our yard. My neighbors have enough for everyone! It took us almost 5 years to rid our yard of what was here when we moved in.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

They do reseed easily and comming into an already overgrown situation like KHT's could be a pain. The new seedlings are easy to pull up IF you keep after them. Hummingbirds love them. Just remember, it was KHT that said go ahead and try them. :D :D :D :wink:
DD

Post by DD »

Yes, I was afraid I'd get that answer. I must be nuts, but the flowers are so pretty that I've gotta grow them. Anyone else out there that can give me some good advice and maybe reduce the fear factor? Thanks all....DD
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Hej and wellcome to the forums :D

Do not know your zone, but OED and Karma are in diffent zones and both tells you they can be invasive.

Try to grow them in pots or in a special area where you can cut them down in the fall and get rid of them. If they come back in the spring it is easy to clean that area and plant in it after it is cleaned... at that time you know if you can leave a few to flower :wink:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
gardner4eternity

Post by gardner4eternity »

I live in zone 5 and grow at least ten different ones every year. The only ones that reseed for me are Milky Way and Carmen.

I grow mostly the Japanese types and those don't have time to set seed in my short growing season, so I never have a problem.

What zone are you?

Thanks
Sandy
Attachments
BS10.JPG
MG91104.JPG
MG91104.JPG (21.18 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
MG104.JPG
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

Sandy, those are gorgeous!

Yup, your zone makes a big difference. That, and the hardiness of your particular Glory.

So, where are ya?
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

i don't think there invasive. I LOVE'm. Who amoung us has a morning glory tattoo'd on their body? Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
morning glory in he pink.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

I love morning glories too!!! I've never had a problem with them being invasive.....they grow nicely in my poor clay soil. I have much better luck seeding them directly in the soil than transplanting them from cell packs......p :wink:

(if pic doesn't show...try here...http://community.webshots.com/photo/197 ... LFCsJFJzUa
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I plant them every year on posts at the edge of my garden, they are BEAUTIFUL!! I replant from seed every year and have never had a problem with the plants reseeding or being to agressive. I plant a mix of bright colors and just love 'em.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I could never get seed to grow outside so I bought plants last year and they were fantastic! Heres' mine :)

And I'm in zone 5 too. This was middle of june maybe, they flowered all summer till the first hard frost. Even a light frost they were still blooming :)
Attachments
2004 patio glories.jpg
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Last years work fundraiser we soaked overnight the seeds on the L side of the photo and they flew off the table like wind fire. It makes me want to germinate but If I start these little twisters too early they'll be a tangled mess. I found my seeds at fleet farm and they will jazz the sunloving fences in a blaze of a.m. color. Maybe this year I'll capture the kodak moment, watching the hummingbirds feed. I'm psyched for summer. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
plant those seeds.jpg
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

It could depend on what zone you're in... Here in Washington they can be very very invasive and people think of them as a nasty weed.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

They are easy to weed aren't they? NOT like thistle and other HARD to pull weeds. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
my morning glory.jpg
oldcoot

O.C. has a question on Morning glories

Post by oldcoot »

He got a package of them free with some seed he had ordered and would like to plant them as his dslw thinks they are so pretty. Do they need to be planted in Sun or Shade ??? O.C. has two perfect places to plant them One of each. Which should he choose. (He prefers the shade as there is less fence there and they would be real pretty, but he can plant them just as well either place>)

That usually Funny and always VERY Friendly Old Coot, named John, REALLY enjoying Spring with all of God's pretty Flowers........and TODAY glowing with pride at the new ones blooming in his yard and on his deck !!!!
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

O.C. not positive on this, but seeing as how you are way more south than I, I have to tell you about those in the picture on my post above. There are 2-3 plants ( I think was eating soon after planting) and they grew up inside that cover for about 5 feet. All the while in the shade, but bloomed in there also! We had blooms till after the first frost b/c they were so thick. Had I planted them sooner, they might have grown longer! :)

I'd put one-three in each area and see how they do. If they get overly abundant, cut one out, simple to do :) They are fast and beautiful when they like their settings. Under them was growing a clem that is all but a foot tall with several leads this year! I am so excited as mine have always take 3 years to grow, so I think these provider the shade they need to get roots growing :)

Make sure you take pics!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
John

Post by John »

YES!!! I had Grandpa Ott's and Milky Way one year, and every one of the thousands of seeds survived a zone 6/7 winter and sent up seedlings year after year. As mentioned above, the very desirable Japanese ones do not enjoy a long enough season to set seeds (sometimes not even flowers).

But, they are easy enough to weed out if kept after. I may have conquered them...but I doubt it.

I think the ones with the worst reputation around here are the wild ones called bindweed, in the same family.
oldcoot

Will do

Post by oldcoot »

Thank you vury much, said Elvi. O.C. has then decide to put them out by the fence. Ir's Partial Shade (gets some morning sun) so Joy can see them from the Sun Deck, where she sits to read. It is a chain link fence all by it self, so should do jsut fine there.

Once again thank you
John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
mamawsdaughter

Post by mamawsdaughter »

I live in zone 5 and last yr was my first yr planting them...I planted them next to my back deck...and let them grow up the side...I was only annoyed one time when they entwined themselves around and in my bbq grill...but it was not enough to keep from planting them again this yr...I love them...I think if you just watch them and make them grow in a fashionally order you will love them....

mamawsdaughter...
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Here's a cute idea for you if you have little ones. If you have an area where you can do it, plant Mammoth Sunflower seeds a few inches apart to form 3 parts of a square about 4 ft. on each side. Around each sunflower seed, plant 4 Morning Glory Seeds. As the Sunflowers grow up the Morning Glories will also grow and twine around the Sunflowers. When the Sunflowers reach their height take garden twine and make a spiders web among the tops of the sunflowers to make a "roof" on your little Sunflower house. The Morning Glories will grow along the twine. It turns out pretty cute and except for the bees my kids loved having their own little house. :)
New Topic Post Reply