Clematis cut down question ???

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Clematis cut down question ???

Post by thy »

I have clem HF Young, or rather I have 2 of them climbing a wall and a standard rhodondendron and... yep a bit of wherever they like to go, and lot of it mixed up in the area between the 2 of them. They are rather big, on of them are in a pot, the other in the dirt.
Problems: The one mostly climbing on the wall is too fat.. meaning flopping around, the other is climbing in the rhodondendron.. mostly ... byt the rhodondendron is sick and I want to dig it out.
I am told that clems type B or 2 have to be cut down between the flowering periodes, but last year they did not have a real breeak, maybe becaurce of their different growing conditions,... so what happens if I cut them down now when they are just ready for the sprout ???
Will I get any flowers,just the late ones or ???

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Pia, I would recommend cutting it back now. You will more than likely loose the earlier flowering but all the energy will go into the second, fuller flowering. With heavy pruning on old clematis, just be sure you don't cut back farther than good buds. The older ones often don't have viable buds down low.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Thanks OED !!!
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply