Vines for Hummingbirds

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyC

Vines for Hummingbirds

Post by PeggyC »

I'm thinking I'm going to plant some vines for hummingbirds this year. What do you suggest besides trumpet vine and cardinal vine? :-?
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Scarlet Honeysuckle. Mine blooms in waves till the freeze kills the flowers. They don't have the honeysuckle scent nor do they reseed wildly like the Japanese variety. Hummingbirds all the time. One year I had a pair of Orioles stay all summer.
Attachments
.jpg
Red Honeysuckle  on side fence.jpg
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Peg, OED's Red Honeysuckle is great! Here's mine just after one full season of growing :D
Attachments
flowers 037.jpg
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

DON'T! plant a Trumpet vine unless you dont mind it coming up every where else. Maybe along a fence row away from the house. But I would never put one in or close to a bed. I've learned my lesson.
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree with Billy. If you are going to plant a trumpet vine make sure it is well away from anything important.

That scarlet honeysuckle looks fantastic! I'll have to keep an eye out for that one :)
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Chris, the Scarlet Honeysuckle, Trumpet Honeysuckle vine I have is (I think :oops: ) Lonicera sempervirens. There are a number of varieties from dark red to yellow. The yellow I had seemd prone to mildew.
Typical honeysuckle vine in that they can repro VERY easily with cuttings or layereing.
At one time I had Trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans)on my deck overhead. It responded well to dead heading, but, as BillyB mentioned, they came up all over if any were left to seed. I also didn't like the "hold tight" (Ivy like) way they climbed on the wood. If kept stripped of lower "branches" and given a strong pole to climb, they can make a nice tree standard like a wisteria.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I second (or third or fourth) the recommendation for Honeysuckle. I planted two varieties on an arbor over the deck and much to my delight, the hummingbirds showed up!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Violet_Skies

Post by Violet_Skies »

Cypress vines. Very pretty and ferny foliage. I grow the red/pink/white blend and have seeds if you want some. Gotta keep the flowers snipped daily or they go to seed immediately, though.
You never know what the past will bring.
New Topic Post Reply