Clematis Rouge Cardinale and seedling

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

GrannyNanny

Clematis Rouge Cardinale and seedling

Post by GrannyNanny »

This is my first time ever on the vine forum, but since I've been getting more and more wiggy over clematis, I decided I'd better bone up on them, and this seemed a good place to do it. The following are pics of Rouge Cardinale, and one of only three seedlings that I've ever managed to get from a clematis. I found that, like hostas, clematis do not come true from seed, but what I got is gorgeous, and it blooms like crazy for most of the summer. Phyllis
(aka GrannyNanny)
Attachments
2004 06 12 Clematis lav sdlng of Rouge Cardinale.jpg
2004 7 15 Clematis Rouge Cardinale.jpg
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Clems were my first garden passion, and I STILL LOVE THEM !!!
That lavender seedling is stunning !!
No the hybrids do not come true, but you have been very lucky with your test one.

One of the best thing ( in my opinion) is to let a little piece of a clem climb around the hostas, somehow the do a very natural setting, both are woodland plants and in a controlled :roll: way it is easy to see.

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:o That's a fantastic seedling. I've never tried them from seed yet. You just gave me the energy to try this year. :wink:
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

OED -- Be prepared -- the books say that the germination takes up to a year!!!! I was really lucky with that one, in that it germinated in a reasonable time (say three or four months), along with two others, both of which had smaller flowers, and they were dark purple, almost the color of Jackmani. I have one of the dark purple ones on this same obelisk, but the flowers don't show up in this pic. The two of them together are lovely.
Also, the book (From Seed to Bloom -- an invaluable source) says to sow the seeds in damp potting mix, and then the whole thing for at least six weeks. Next time I try this, I'm going to put the seed trays outside in the fall, after it's cold enough for them to stay frozen, and then just leave them there all winter, and see if that helps with spring germination. Phyllis
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Thanks for the info Phyllis. The slow germination is one of the things that held me up on trying. Every year I tell myself that such and such would be a nice plant by now if I only started it when I first thought about it. Procrastinating is one of my more successful ventures. :oops: :lol:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Very Pretty!! I didn't know they even MADE seeds! :lol: You are the best seed grower Phillis!!

Thanks for sharing.....And Congrats on a pretty Clem!! :D
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Lucygoose -- Surely you've seen those fluffy seedheads that are left when the flowers quit blooming? That's the seeds -- lots of them -- but from my experience with germination of same, there NEEDS to be lots of seeds to get even one plant! Now I'm trying to root some of the cuttings that I took off that seedling plant -- layered them in seed starter, to see what would happen. The buds are aboveground and unfolding, so maybe they'll make roots too. It never hurts to try, does it??? Phyllis
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

GrannyNanny wrote:Surely you've seen those fluffy seedheads that are left when the flowers quit blooming?
Well, I guess I have then....:lol: I will look closer this year to see what the heck I missed......I have to say that I will leave the Clem seed growing to you, though......Your are the BEST! :D
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

How long to take to germinate? Any special suggestions for that? And how long till they bloom for you? They are sooo pretty! Thanks for sharing!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Phyllis, although clems aren't to difficult to root from cuttings, I've never had luck getting any plant to root if it still had active groth on top. Seems all the energy goeos to unfolding the leaves, and noot to the roots. I suspect if it can be done, you'll be the one to do it. With all my clems starting to send up new shoots, this is the time I start layering off of the mother plant.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Jane -- Germination takes up to 1 year, so one can't be in a hurry! The suggestion in my book is to sow the seed in moist soil in a seed flat, and then to cover it with glass or plexiglass, and put it next to the foundation on the north side of the house -- leave it there during the winter, and then let it thaw and warm up in the spring, checking it every so often for moisture. I've never done this -- it sounds like such a production -- but I may do it next fall and see what happens.
My seedlings bloomed their very first year -- just one or two blossoms, but enough for me to see that their color was NOT that of the parent plant!
OED -- I'm going to try layering off the parent plant this year, too. Would you describe how you do it? Thanks -- Phyllis
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Phyllis, go to the Greenhouse and Propagation forum (p.2). About 3/4 down there is a post from Mustang95 that I covered layering clems. A little further down in the same post, I also described a method for layering directly into pots. Piece o cake! :wink:
New Topic Post Reply