Clematis cutting question

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Clematis cutting question

Post by thy »

I have a huge clematis montana Rubens, 8 years old and it need to be cut back after the flowering periode, neighbour need a new roof

So where to cut and how are the changes for it to survive ????

Pia
Attachments
Clematis 3.jpg
Clematis2.jpg
Clematis.jpg
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I would cut it back now and only to the top of the fence so your neighbor can put on the new roof. Where you cut will determine the new growth will start. If you cut lower you will have the growth lower on your fence. This is one that I would not cut clear back at the soil level. Hope this helps?
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Doublemom has a well established one that was up to the roof of a second story. She cut it to the ground last year for residing and reroofing the house and darned if that thing isn't back to where it had been already! :o
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Yup, I have a clematis montana 'Marjorie' (same as your rubens, just a different flower color), that I cut down to about 1 to 2 feet every other year, and it grows back like crazy. I cut it to about 2 feet tall early last year when we were having work done on our house, and it's all the way back up it's post and to the roof again. I've done this at least three times since I've had it, and it comes back every single time.

Hope this helps out,
Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
thy

Post by thy »

So do you think I can cut the old thik branches too, or do I need to cut it where I can see new growt ???
Darn spelling ... I know
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

Thy - check to see how far down you can see any new growth. I'd try cutting just above any new growth, so that you can be sure it'll come back. On mine, there is new growth within a few inches of the ground, so I can cut it really low and know that there are buds there that will grow.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I've never grown any of the Montanas but some clematis wont return if you cut below the growth buds. I'd stay above them to be safe.
thy

Post by thy »

That was exactly what I was afraid of..., I have no idea of where the new buds are, but there have been noone in the first 6 feets for years.. have to cut it down carefully :wink:

Pia
New Topic Post Reply