Wisteria 'Amethyst Falls'

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Wisteria 'Amethyst Falls'

Post by Dee »

I picked this up just this spring and was so excited it flowered. I tried to take a pic so I could remember it, since they seem to be such a PIA to get flowering again! :lol:
Attachments
wisteria.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

That's beautiful!! :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Wow!
Snow

Post by Snow »

They say it takes at least 5 years for a wisteria to start blooming. I have never tried, here in zone 5. Beautiful!!!
~*Snow*~
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

If you cut it back it will bloom more easy
Someone can explain it better :wink:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Last year I tried a wisteria for the 2nd time. Danged bunnies or rodents ate it down to the ground this winter :cry: REally wish they would eat the old bushes out back and not my store bought stuff :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
~dirtbug~

Post by ~dirtbug~ »

cutting it back ya say???
i fertilised mine last year and ended up with the most lush green leaves!!!
not one flower, not even a hint argh!
so i told it i would ignore it this year.
hahahahahahahaha

lovely bloom. maybe i should print that pic and take it out to my wisteria and say this is what ya suposed to do or ya gone!!!
hahahahaha
dirtbug
:D
in an insane moment
~feral flowers family~
cheyenne 14yrs
indianna 10 yrs
chance 9 yrs
kelsey 6 yrs
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Most of the large flowering vines such as Wisteria, Campsis, etc, should not be fertilized with any nitrogen. As Dirtbug says, "Lush green leaves, no flowers". Heavy pruning, and often times even a good root pruning does the trick.
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

I have six wisteria on an arbor that are about 10 years old. One or two of them finally bloomed 3 years ago, but only waaaaay up in a tree they took over & choked & killed. There wasn't one bloom down low that I could look at.

The next year nothing. No blooms at all. I told a nursery lady about it & she told me to root prune then threaten it. I never got around to root pruning so I just theatened it, plus I got some fake wisteria flowers & hung them in it. And it worked! It had some pretty good blooms this year through out the plant. It's still not the picture I see everywhere where it's covered, but it's a start. Hopefully I'll find time to root prune this year.

The one year it bloomed up in the tree I had pruned the first 2 plants as an experiement & thought it was during the winter, so I tried that again. Since they didn't bloom at all that year I'm guessing I didn't prune in the winter.

Here's a scary story. I was weeding in the garden which had gotten quite overgrown in the last few weeks, and a good 30' from the arbor I pulled up some grasses & underneath them was a wisteria vine! I wondered if a bird had dropped a seed & a new one grew. So I picked the vine up & realized it just kept going & going & going! It was off the original wisteria! I started checking & found 4 more long vines that had crept along the ground in different directions that were all about 30' long!

Now I'm afraid to go to sleep! That thing is trying to engulf my house I just know it! Maybe it's threatening me!
New Topic Post Reply