Honeysuckle is luring the bee

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

whis4ey

Honeysuckle is luring the bee

Post by whis4ey »

The honeysuckle is particularly sweet this year, and now covers the whole pergola. The scent is superb, and attracts the bees :)
Attachments
DSC00271.JPG
DSC00274.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Gorgeous! I tried a locinera <sp?> one time. I'm still trying to kill it! Mine didn't produce well and layered itself in a day I swear! I'm still trying to get it out of a garden :(

Your's is beatiful! Maybe I needed to surround it by concrete huh?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Sam, that's beautiful! What variety?
Jane, I suspect you had Lonicera japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle). The're quite common, but actually against the law to plant in many states now.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Hmmm...could have been, it was many years ago. That's the reason. I've not tried another. Afraid to :(
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. has several pots

Post by oldcoot »

of it growing on his deck next to two small trellises. He has trained them to climb up the trellis and the two were abolutely beautiful. Unfortunately his camera was in the shop when they bloomed so can't post. He knows the bees love them but this year he had an added treat. He had some red Liliums blooming in pots NEXT to them, and the Humming birds went wild for the honey suckle (all 3 of them) Glad I could offer them something besides sugar water..

John that Old Coot
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Lovely! What a nice place to sit.

I'm waiting patiently for my honeysuckle to cover the arbor over the deck. How long did it take for yours to do that? This is the 3rd year for mine, it went up the side quicklly and is very full of new growth, but it's not sprawling across the top as quickly as I'd like.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

WSell thisa is actually my 2nd year

Post by oldcoot »

Planted the sprigs in the tubs last spring when they showed up in my shade bed, I admit it has been a slow go, but has sure been worth it. Right now O.C is having a fit keeping them watered. Has to water either late in the afternoon or early in the morning, just too dang hot to water any other time during the day...

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply