Too many clematis.

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gruntfuttock

Too many clematis.

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I just built a new trellis. It is L shaped 12 feet x 6 feet with a trellis roof.

For some reason everyone thinks I need clematis for it and I have had to politely say thankyou to people who keep giving me the damn things as presents.

I have planted 8 and still have 14 in pots looking for a home, I can't give them away as people would be offended so now I have to extend the trellis. and cover it with clematis.

Pruning is going to be a nightmare when they all get entwined with each other.

I've nothing against clematis, but everyone has them and I like to be that bit different.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I'm sure that if you were on this side of The Pond, there would be any number of folks beating down your potting shed door, asking to take some of those beauties off your hands. Surely you can find another spot for them? Climbing through your roses? Climbing up an ornamental tree? I certainly envy you your "problem" -- I've had to replace three Clematis this spring, because they turned up their toes and died on me. Phyllis
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I'm with Phyllis on this one. I can only hope to have to many someday. :D :wink:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

If only one of my problems were that simply! I've too many places to put them and not enough mula! LOL

A fence row? Bush that flowers in early spring then nothing? Trellis over a kitchen window? Arbor over an entrance?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

The fence is 6' high so that's a possibility. I could attach chicken wire to it as a climbing frame.

impatience

Post by impatience »

I love the look of them growing up thru shrubs. I have a white one growing up thru a purple smoke bush.........yum. (except it only gets one or two flowers each year-I haven't had great luck with them like lucygoose does).

You are going to have a heck of a time getting sympathy here. :wink:
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Boy I made a huge score this year. Rural King was clearancing their plants and I got a flat of 18 clematis in the 4" pots that normally sell for $6 each for $2 for the whole flat! And I bought 2 flats! I've got clematis out the wazoo too!

I like them going up into tall trees, in roses and I'm trying them in the hosta beds to see if I can get them to grow along the ground. I planted two last year in a hosta bed, but they didn't make it. There's creeping moneywort there, wonder if it choked them out?
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I have a clem I thought had died and 2-3 years later it came up in full force and has done great since. If you buried them deep enough they may come back next year :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Love them and can't get enough of them... living in EU :wink:
Plant them with everything. let them ramble over the soil
If you plant them with roses, plant deep and rather close to the trunk, otherwise be sure some will be spoiled by the wind... learned the hard way :roll:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey Grunt, ya got a photo how this turned out with all the clemmies on it to share? I sure would like to see one.
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

Only two or 3 flowered, but next year will probably be a bonanza.

I also grew shedloads of ipomoeia which are still flowering. In fact I had so many I built a teepee on the end of the trellis. I'll see if I can find a picture of that.

I've just planted some clitoria seed. I'll not be able to plant them out until late next spring, but i've held some back for spring planting as well.

New Topic Post Reply