Clematis needed: 1 hour of sun

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

Arlene

Clematis needed: 1 hour of sun

Post by Arlene »

I have a spot where I need to put a screening vine -- I'm adding a bench / trellis for it to climb. I'd like to do a couple of clematis, one up each side of the trellis. The location gets sun only from 11:00 till noon. I know Sweet Autumn is recommended for shade, and I could probably get a start from the one on my back fence, but I'd sorta like something different. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Arlene
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Arlene, a number of my clems get by on short hours of sunlight, but I don't think one hour would do the ticket. Hopefully, someone else here can give you better news. The SACs do cover quickly.
mooie

Post by mooie »

I have a couple of varigated Porcelain vines that are mostly in the shade that have grown quite well. Not much on flowers, but they have the coolest purple/blue berries on them! You might look them up.

mooie
~Imagine~
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Will they get one hour at soil level or at top/ flower level ?
At soil level it will be okay, but here one hour at flower level is way to little :cry:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

thy, pretty much both top and soil level -- the hour is from about 11 am till noon so the sun pretty much covers both. I know it's not much light at all, but I want to create a little screen of my neighbor's wall, where they store their beach toys. I may end up trying a start of my Sweet Autumn -- I'm sure I can find a rooted sprig somewhere in that mess!! I think I'll try the porcelain vine on the other side of the trellis.
New Topic Post Reply