Any suggestions on how to kill a trumpet vine?

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

lazygardner

Any suggestions on how to kill a trumpet vine?

Post by lazygardner »

I have one growing up the side of my house and this summer I noticed the basement leaking where it never has before, just inside the corner where the trumpet vine is outside. So, it has to go. I bought round up, but I wonder if that will work. Any tips for someone who isn't used to killing?
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awww, you think it's doing it? I would think Round Up would do it....but then I don't have that plant.....

Good Luck!! :D
DryGulch

let it live!

Post by DryGulch »

I doubt the invasive, "subversive" trumpet vine is causing the leak? Why not try changing the grade outside so water runs away rather than killing the vine?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I agree that the trumpet vine might not be the problem, but I have seen them tear up concrete sidewalks and come up in the middle of asphalt driveways before.

Roundup might not be enought to kill it. I would recommend cutting it down and pouring the undiluted concentrate on the cut stem. I've also heard that putting a vine tip in a jar of concentrate and leaving it so that the tip sucks up the poison might work.

Brush-B-Gon or other brush killers might be more effective.

Even if the trumpet vine isn't causing problems now it could later.

Good luck!

Chris
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I agree with Chris's method but it may be to late in the year for any of the herbacides to be very effective. I'd still do it and follow up again in the spring by spraying with roundup every time new growth comes up from it.
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Don't know if there's any validity to this or not, but I've been successful getting rid of poison ivy this way.

A nursery owner told me that to get rid of persistent vines, such as PI or English ivy, that it's more effective to spray in the fall. She said that in the spring, all the plant's energy is focused outward, putting on new growth. In the fall the vine is pulling sap down into the roots to prepare for dormancy, so the herbicide is pulled to the roots. I spray PI whenever I find it, but in the fall I go searching for it. It's getting about that time, and this year I have some EI to get rid of, too!!
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Thank you everyone for the valuable tips and I apologize for getting back to this topic so late. I do have some roundup, so I may try the vine tip into the bottle method, after I cut the top half off. I tried to spray on the roundup, but I can only reach halfway up. :lol: The leaves on the bottom half are dying, but the top half looks perfectly lush. :oops:

I do have another one of these anarchist vines in the back yard on a fence, so I am not worried about losing this one, and it IS growing under my new siding and between the siding and the gutters.

Lucygoosey- I can send you one if you don't mind it taking over half your yard and corrupting the rest of your perennials.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

No thanks, Joanna!! :evil: :wink:
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Plant it in Denmark
Heck - I have tried to grow that plant severeal times with no luck at all :roll:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
bloomsaplenty

Eradicating Trumpet Vine

Post by bloomsaplenty »

When I remove invasive plants I keep all above ground growth cut down to bare stubs and then cover the stubs with something to keep light out. Sometimes keeping leaves removed will deprive the roots of nutrients and the plant will die off. This is an organic solution, but if you are not adverse to using chemicals then a careful painting of round-up on the stubs may help. I have heard the same advice as Arlene. Remove unwanted woody plants in the fall. :wink:
New Topic Post Reply