Virginia Creeper

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Virginia Creeper

Post by FreakyCola »

Does anyone like this vine? I did, then was warned not to let it in since it would take over. And yes, it did try to take over. I've been pulling it for 3 years now & finally thought I had it all, then yesterday discovered some in a pussy willow. It had grown up the trunk over 6' high. I can't believe I didn't notice it before. It seems to be behaving and is just in the tree. Should I pull it out or let it be? Will it hurt the tree? Thanks!
Ellen
jay dee

Virginia creeper

Post by jay dee »

Will it hurt your tree - maybe. See the post on trumpet vine to eradicate it. You can only find it in one place now, but when it fruits, the birds will give it to you everywhere!

I live in the country and have had the varmint for years and can not get totally rid of it. When we enlarged the yard, I found vines as big around as my fist. We had a sunroom built about 12 years ago over some existing creeper. This stuff stays alive under the elevated sunroom and grows through the teetiny (southern for very small) cracks in the siding under the sunroom.

Cut the creeper back and when it sprouts new leaves, use the Brush and Ivy Round Up.

jay dee
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

I have Virginia Creeper and I hate it!! It grows in the ravine...and up out of the ravine, and in every tree and over the ground and through my new hosta bed and over the creek and around the fence. I've sprayed it and hacked it and pulled it and burned it. I've finally decided I'll just have to live with it and keep pulling it out of the fences and the hosta beds. :x
New Topic Post Reply