Lathyrus.......It Mocks Me

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

Lionitus

Lathyrus.......It Mocks Me

Post by Lionitus »

I'm completely frustrated with lathyrus. I've been able to grow it in my city lot, though it's been a challenge. This year, for the first time, I'm attempting to grow it in our rural garden. We are literally surrounded by corn fields. I planted five varieties, 20 seeds each two weeks ago. Not one seed has come up, not a single one. I could cry.

Does anyone have some specific instruction for me? Any good ideas that have worked for you to make these little buggers grow? I simply love them, but I've about given up the ghost here. Is it too late for me to try them again? I'm right on the line between zones 5a and b.

Help.

Lionitus
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Do you put the seeds in water the night before you sow them? I think it help because the seed can soften before and than grew a lot faster. For you, it's a bit late because they are already in the ground but maybe they will grow just slower. That's the only thing I know about lathyrus :roll: :roll:

Good luck! :)
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Thank you Nathalie. I think I'll try them again. I already own the seed, may as well see what happens.

You know, I read a few recent articles about sweet peas that said you should not soak the seeds. I can't remember why, I'd have to go back to find the articles on the web. But I think I will soak them this time. You are right, they will probably perform better for me.

Thanks again,
Lionitus
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

I do know that they have a hard seed coat and will germinate more readily if you nick it first.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Yes, you need to scarify (I think that's the word) that seed, either by placing over night in a water bowl, or by knicking the seed with a knife or such. The shell otherwise protects it from germination. I suppose it's to protect over the winter and allow it to germinate after spring rains maybe?

Keep on a trying! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply