Dropmore scarlet and hummers

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

flowerchild59

Dropmore scarlet and hummers

Post by flowerchild59 »

I am wanting to plant that particular type of honeysuckle to attract and keep my hummingbirds happy. What are your experiences with that and other vines that are "hummer" friendly.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

HA! I can't remember, I think it was 'loncinear' or some such thing I tried once! THat was about 15 years ago and it's throughout hte entire garden now and I've been pulling it up and spraying it to kill for years! Be careful what you get! I got it for the same reason and lived to regret that one!

Should add, that anywhere a piece touches it roots! and those roots are deep and a little piece seems to start another whole plant in one year! NAsty stuff!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Yours sounds like Lonicera japonica, Jane. I got some from a neighbor years ago. Hers seemed to be very well behaved. We put a fence in front of the flower bed when Jasmine was a puppy and it took over. We used round-up on it last year and killed quite a bit of it but now there is just more further down the bed. :evil:

I have a very well behaved red honeysuckle that several of us got starts of from OED. I don't know the name of it but it could very well be Dropmore Scarlet. Mine isn't blooming yet and it wasn't very big last year so I don't know for sure about the hummingbirds. If my pink wegiela is any indicator, they will love the red trumpet flowers.
:D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I remember the Loncinera, but not the Japonica, but Pat, You're probably right! It has small yellow flowers, rather insignificant, and the birds and bees loved it, but it nearly took over that garden. I just noticed this year It's still fighting to live!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Pat, the red one you got from me is Lonicera sempervirens - Trumpet Honeysuckle. Not sure about the variety.
Yes, it's quite well mannered and the hummers love it. No scent though.
Lonicera japonica is so aggressive that it's against the law to plant it in many states.
An annual vine I really like is Cypress/Cardinal vine. The bright red flower is the same on these two but the leaves are quite different. Both are in the Ipomia (Morning Glory)family. Much smaller, flower, but a humming bird magnet. They self seed here.
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Bob. :D I just wrote down the name.

I knew that Lonicera japonica was outlawed in many states. I remember seeing it years ago in a catalog that stated it could not be shipped to Illinois. It's too bad I didn't know that was what the neighbor was giving me here. Mine isn't struggling. It's still going strong. Time to get out the round-up.

Does yours look like this Jane?

http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/detai ... ode=LONJAP
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Here is mine from OED!! The second year for it.....I love it and those hummers do to! :cool:
Attachments
s 160.jpg
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yeah! That's the one I supposed to get years ago LG@ :(

Pat, This is what I have that is totally uncontrollable! I have more than I realized! It's hard to say whether its the same on in those photos, b/c this is all new growth. Last Year I dug every inch out and well........you can see it all through my bed again :(

In these pics, the old growth you see has no attachment it was cut off at the knees 2 years ago, and the main truck dug up. Needless to say I didn't get it all. It's in a garden that is last to be worked and I didn't get to it last year :(

It's back with a vengence! :(

The flowers were really insignificant but it did attract bees, butterfly and hummers. So what when it's so very obnoxious!
Attachments
DSCF0057.jpg
DSCF0057.jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
DSCF0056.jpg
DSCF0056.jpg (23.78 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
DSCF0054.jpg
DSCF0054.jpg (20.45 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

:P Showoff! :lol: Mine's not blooming.

Jane, Good luck. Hope we win the battle this year.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Pat! I think this plant is from down below in that furnace we all dread. It's our cross to bear in the garden! I tell you, I'll fight it till my dying day, I WILL! :lol:

Good luck with yours too!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

These three pics are a few yrs old, and I probably posted them at one time or another. I've made changes since then but you get the idea of how they can look.
Attachments
Red Honeysuckle  on side fence.jpg
Red Honeysuckle on side fence.jpg (48.09 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Red honeysuckle and Clem Henryi
Attachments
.jpg
.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
.jpg
.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

:oops: hey! Nobody's perefect! Here's the third pic.
Attachments
Scarlet Honeysuckle on the back fence.jpg
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

And you say this stays contained to where you plant it (in the ground I mean)? Hmmmmm...maybe I'll have to rethink this! I know when I bought it, I asked that it not be the invasive type. And it was here locally, and I really wish I knew what place it was, b/c I think I'd got tranplant little piecees of it all over they're home landscaping! :lol: :lol: :lol:

J/k............well...........maybe! :D

But I do know I asked at the time I bought it! :evil:
New Topic Post Reply