Transplanting Clematis

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

Mary Ann

Transplanting Clematis

Post by Mary Ann »

When is the best time of the year to move a large Clematis? Any tips on making the job easier? I don't mind losing the blooms for a season.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

My best guess would be Spring. I don't have any tips. I have terrible luck with clematis. The one I brought with from Illinois has had one flower in 15 years. :o Hopefully, OED will see this. I'm sure he will have some good info for you.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Mary Ann, I prefer the early spring, but I've moved them at all different times of the year if I get a good sized rootball with it. Always replant clems a couple of inches deeper then when you dug it up. That helps start new shoots at the base and helps fight off clematris wilt.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks, Bob. Would it help if I root-pruned it now for moving later? I remember those clematis roots get really long.
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Good Luck Mary Ann!!

I tell you what, I am kinda sick of mine.....they all seem to have the wilt this year, and it really irritates me big time..... :evil: Even one of my new ones, and I know I planted that one deep.... :evil: Karma will NEVER get a start of Joshiphene.....(No laughing at the spelling....my spell thingy is not getting it, but you will )
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

LucyGoose, I feel your pain! I think I've just lost another one to wilt. I'm really starting to get a little ticked off! :x I have 2 that I just got mail order and I'm afraid to plant them!!!

Mary Ann, good luck with moving yours! :D
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I have one or two that wilt every year after they flower. They come back every year.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey Goose, that's okay. The ones I started for you and Pat didn't make it this spring so I'm going to get better cuttings this fall and put them on the heat bed over the winter months.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Bro, mine do it before they flower.....In fact, the Josiphine is not even there anymore and it was doing sooooo good!! Every durn sprout gone :evil: Do you think I can dig them right now to get them deeper? I know for a fact, that 2 are not burried deep.

New Topic Post Reply