Clematis Trellis-mates; Belle of Woking and Nellie Moser

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

GrannyNanny

Clematis Trellis-mates; Belle of Woking and Nellie Moser

Post by GrannyNanny »

For the first time since I planted these two ladies in the front garden, next to the steps, they have begun to bloom as they should, and it's quite spectacular. They each only have a couple of blossoms so far, so I've done close-ups, but when all the other buds open, I'll do a pic of the entire trellis. I am SO pleased! Phyllis
Attachments
Clematis Nellie Moser 6 1 2006.jpg
Clematis Nellie Moser 6 1 2006.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
Clematis Blle of Woking clseup 6 1 2006.jpg
Clematis Blle of Woking clseup 6 1 2006.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oh Man, those are gorgeous! Of course, I need no more purple, but well.........maybe another wouldn't hurt! :lol:

Seriously, I lost Nelly Moser, twice in fact. I really want to try again, as dd's nick was 'Nelly' (janelle) when she was little. Thanks for sharing these!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Very nice clems, but, that sure doesn't look like Nellie Moser. :hmm:
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Definately not Nelly. :???:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

What is it, then? I don't think I got it mixed up with Rouge Cardinale, although it does look like it somewhat. If you have any ideas, let me know -- I want to have these things labeled accurately. Thanks -- Phyllis
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Just possibly it's Niobe.
I don't have a pic of my Nelly Moser but the description is Pale mauve-pink with deep carmine bar. Mine has always been somewhat of a dud. It fades with the slightest sunlight.
Niobe has pointed sepals and yellow stamens.
Roughe Cardinal has rounded sepals and brown stamens.
Hope that helps.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Thanks, OED - I just looked up Nellie Moser (pale pink with darker bar, as you said) , and this is definitely something else! I don't think I've ever had Niobe, so I'll wait for the plant that I THOUGHT was Rouge Cardinale to bloom. It is budded nicely, so when it breaks forth, I may find that I've mixed the plants. I dug all of them and replanted in the spring of 2003, and I could very easily have put the wrong plant with the right tag. A mystery, to be sure. Phyllis
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

GrannyNanny, thanks for posting the first one as I just picked that one up on Mothers's day! Now I can't wait!!
New Topic Post Reply