Question about Morning Glory

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

YellowRose

Question about Morning Glory

Post by YellowRose »

My husbands grandparents sent my 4 yr old daughter a packet of morning glories for her birthday. She planted them in a bucket until they got a bit bigger and I transplanted them to our back fence. Its growing like crazy (which I know is normal) but my question is when will it flower? Its just growing and growing and not flowering. My mother in law suggested trying to cut the new growth of to see if it would slow down and perhaps flower. I have never had them before, tho so I dont want to stop it if it blooms later. It would just be nice for my daughter to see some flowers on it ya know?

Also.. I know its an annual and will die after the frost, but I read that they will "re seed" themselves.. does this mean that it will come back next year? Is there something I should do to help that?
Thanks!
Amber
Amber
Zone 7b
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

I already had Morning Glory and I remembered waiting after they bloom. It takes time but when it's begin, they don't stop! I don't know if they reseed themself, not for me in Quebec. :D I don't know if you have the blue Morning Glory but I found them so beautiful! The blue is amazing!
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

When did she plant the seed? it takes many weeks, even with ideal conditions, before they will bloom.

Re "growing": how tall are they now? I've never grown any MGs that started blooming until they were at least 4-5' tall (just guessing from memory).

Do they have adequate sun? bloom will be sparse without it.

Are they being fertilized? I think that they prefer a leaner soil to produce good blooms... fertilizers tend to make them grow very lush and green.

just my thoughts.

Oh! VA has a much longer growing season than here (NY), so you may have a problem with them self-sowing and becoming a nuisance. You can let them set some seed and collect it, and then remove the rest before it goes crazy. lol! The seedpods swell green, eventually turn brown and sort of "crispy" (for lack of a better description)... they will start to split open and that's when you collect the seeds (usually several large dark somewhat-triangular seeds per pod).

Hope that helps!!!!!!!!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
YellowRose

Post by YellowRose »

Thanks you guys! That does help! :D Well.. Our fence is probably a little over 6 feet.. and its pretty close to the top of the fence now. We planted it in a bucket in miracle grow potting soil (I use that for everything) then transplanted it right to the soil when it got bigger. I did that because the last time I tried to plant morning glories they did not grow :( lol It gets PLENTY of sun.

Thanks for the info! I'll try to get a pic later.

Amber
Amber
Zone 7b
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

I think you'll get flowers! They grow very fast and then suddenly, blooms galore that keep going and going. They are the most beautiful thing in the morning when all the flowers are open.

I've planted them from seed and from purchased seedlings. In both cases they did just fine and started blooming once they got some size on them. I've never trimmed or pruned them. Grow first, then bloom. I also get volunteers the next year from the seeds that fall on the ground.

Good Luck!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply