Milkweed vine

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Milkweed vine

Post by Gardentoad »

Does milkweed vine have the white sap when you break the stem or leaves? I was pulling up the weed vines in my garden and found monarch catapillars on vines that did not have a milky sap. The vines have a red base a dark green triangular leaves, medium substance.

The catapillars are striped black, white and yellow, I may be misidentifying them.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Yes, the milkweed vine has white sap in it. I HATE those durn things but never realized they would attract the Monarch butterfly.
heere's a pic of the Monarch catapillars on my common milk weed.
Attachments
Milkweed and Monarch larva.jpg
Milkweed and Monarch larva.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

Thanks. It's good to know I wasn't pulling up host plants. I wonder how the cats happend to be on them? I found 2 that were only an inch long. The vines they were on were not chewed and only about 8-10" long.
It had rained the night before so maybe they just got blown off their host plants.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

They could very well be a host plant. Someone lots smarter then me would have to say no to be sure. :wink:
New Topic Post Reply