Pruning an ornamental grape?

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Pruning an ornamental grape?

Post by Tigger »

Any hints on how one would go about this? It's vitis vinifera 'Purpurea' (a purple-leaved wine grape. tiny unpleasant fruits so far this year, but maybe they'll get some sugar with age)

Can I just hack it back at will to fit the trellis? I cut it back to about 3' in late winter, and am thinking I should have gone back farther. It has some wild hairs up to 9' high now, up under the eaves of the house off the patio.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Hey Tigger, since we used to live in TX I find their sites really handy with it comes to stuff I'm a not knowing. I allow our to have more that a 3 foot stump. Right now our pina whatever is over taking the old fashion daylilies planted where I knew better. Let me know if you need a photo when it's time to butcher them in the fall.

http://winegrapes.tamu.edu/grow/pruning.shtml
Last edited by kHT on Jul 19, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
John

Post by John »

Excellent question. I did some quick research and found mention of nearly every month in the year as the proper time for pruning; apparently the French cut it back to the old wood with the idea of producing new shoots and more grapes. This is a new plant to me, now I think I need one.

Hope someone here has personal and practical advice.
New Topic Post Reply