Hyacinth Bean Vine

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

hostaaddict

Hyacinth Bean Vine

Post by hostaaddict »

We were in the Amana Colonies last week and spotted the beautiful vines along a split rail fence. they were covered with deep purple blooms and had large reddish purple pods. I was told they were Hyacinth Beans, and brought home some seeds. Now how to I proceed? We live on border of zone 4/5. Do I start them indoors or wait till Spring and plant the seeds outdoors? Anyone growing them this far North that could share some advice? thanks! (wish I had my camera with me to have taken pic)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I'm north of IA and we just start them after the threat of frost has passed. My sister in Co grows them and she is the one that got me started with them. I believe you can start them inside, anyone else grow them???
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

They grew on the west side of the back porch of the 100-yr-old house I grew up in. They were a great cover for the windows from the hot afternoon sun. They came back year after year from seed.

I should try them myself.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Seems a lot of the bean type flowering plants don't do well when transplanted this far north in 4/5, so they say to direct sow in the soil after all danger of frosts are past. I have done some transplanting, but it's few and far between that they bloom, b/c of the shorter summers. Try a few of both why not?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I grew them when I lived in zone 6. I began them indoors and put them in full sun outdoors. They thrive in hot weather! I had some seeds that I kept and tried them here in zone 4 but haven't had much luck. They seem to need a longer growing season or perhaps the summers we've had just were not what they wanted. The vines did grow but I didn't get many flowers and no seeds at all! :cry:
If you have the right structure for them to grow on and start them indoors ahead of time, they are worth the effort. Since they grow very, very fast don't start them too early indoors.
Ceil
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

Thanks! I really like them and think I will plant some seeds in ground after frost danger has passed. Also will try a few in the peat pots and maybe they would transplant better that way. Will post pics next summer if they do well.
New Topic Post Reply