Akebia finally fruited (pics) - anyone start seeds?

Use this area to discuss climbing plants such as trumpet vines, clematis, and others.

Moderator: Chris_W

Patricias_herbs

Akebia finally fruited (pics) - anyone start seeds?

Post by Patricias_herbs »

After about 8 years, my Akebia Vine finally brought on the fruit. My husband was actually startled, it stopped him in his tracks. We spent a lot of time out at the lake place so we unfortunately missed the fruit stage to taste. On the other corner of the building is a white flowering variety for cross pollination.

Has anyone successfully grown them? From what I found, they like cold treatment before seeding. Any tips? I gotta try these guys. Then I'm not sure about what variety/sex the babies will be.

Thanks Patricia
Attachments
Spring flowering
Spring flowering
Hubby showing the September fruit
Hubby showing the September fruit
~ Patricia ~
John

Post by John »

Wish I could help-- my 3 Akebia are about 3 years old, and have not even flowered yet. One I gave away to someone farther south in NJ and grown in full sun has flowered, must ask about fruit. Mine are in some shade, but I thought they tolerated that?

Yours is spectacular! And I had no idea the fruits were so huge!
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

:eek: Oh my gosh, that is awsome!! :cool: New to me and I had to look it up. :oops: Best of luck on those seeds.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
impatience

Post by impatience »

Mine have been flowering for several years and I've never seen anything like that! Maybe I should have a talk with them.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
DryGulch

Akebia

Post by DryGulch »

I have grown akebia for several years. It is a truly cool vine. It has male and female flowers on the same plant, so it can possible be both parents, rather than crossed with the white one.

I have read that it is pollinized "in the wild" by an insect that is only hardy to zone 7. Maybe with the strange weather patterns some strayed into your area.

Here in WI, mine bloom for about 10-14 days in the middle of May. Not a period of heavy insect activity. I keep meaning to hand-pollinate so I can obtain fruit, which are edible. Unfortunately, I always seem to miss the optimum time for that.

This last year, I made a special effort, but as strange as it might sound, especially if you knew me, I could not detemine which structures were the stamen and pistils. (And I am not even talking about identifying which is THE stamen or THE pistil, but the sex organs--period.)

I would guess a lucky wind was blowing your way!!

Given what I know....WAY COOL!!!!! :o
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

My akebia blooms heavily every year, it's a fantastic vine! I've had it for 7-8 years now, but I've never seen any fruit on it. Wish it would fruit, I'd love to see those :)

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
Patricias_herbs

Akebia Seeds For SASE

Post by Patricias_herbs »

I'm going to have some extra seeds available. If anyone would like some, I'll share with you for a SASE. I'm thinking of the small bubble padded envelopes with 2 stamps on them. These are large seeds. I'd hate to have them crushed. I haven't sent seeds for awhile, so I'm open to suggestions on this. (I know this isn't the Garden Exchange but thought I'd share with some fellow vineheads).

Anyway- send me a private message for more info, if your interested. The only thing I'd like from you is- tell me your secret when your successful in germinating & growing them!

Thanks
~ Patricia ~
John

Post by John »

I did some searching, and it seems that Akebia seeds require about 5-6 weeks of cold and moist storage, such as being place in peat (damp) and held in the refrigerator.

I would guess that they are a good subject for winter-sowing.
New Topic Post Reply