Goldfish or Koi

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Brenda's Beauty

Goldfish or Koi

Post by Brenda's Beauty »

The pond is about the size of a regular home swimming pool that was constructed for flood control on the property. There are several mallard ducks, one goose, lots of bullfrogs and other pond visitors.

I have put goldfish and koi into the pond. I have not seen a koi, but have all kinds of weird Goldfish. I have put them on a 2X/day feeding program using commercial fish food and have produced some monster Goldfish with lots of color variation.

The pond is 5'deep.

What does one do with a thousand goldfish?
Brenda's Beauty-G
Homer_Zn5

Post by Homer_Zn5 »

You get a big minnow trap and sell off the extras! That's how you make money to fuel your habit.
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

You send them over to me .... the heron has scoffed all of mine :(
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
AJC

Post by AJC »

Bet ya wish you shot the heron with a a gun instead of a camera huh Sam? :D

Annoying tho isnt it, and with a pond your size you would have a real prob stopping one getting them too :(

it seems there are always people interested in fish, try a local dealer see if you can work out a deal with them, even an advert in local paper "fish for sale" works.
What goes around, comes around!
So am I coming or going ?
Indiana Gardener

Post by Indiana Gardener »

Ditto on the trap and sell. You can quarantine them in .3% salt water to be sure they are parasite free.
Yeah Sam, S.S.S. :)
Bye for now,
<i><b><font size="6" color="#0000cd" face="hansonshand">Indy</font></b></i>
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

It's been a while since this topic had a post. I just transfered my pond fish from a holding tank to a new 43 gallon, hexigon tank tonight. I hope they acclaimate. We lost one koi already. The water tested with good results. I guess as long as nobody's floating tomorrow will be the ultimate test. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
koi have new winter home.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Anyone with excess goldfish may personally deliver them to my door here in Upstate New York :D !

Here is where I shall put them (being filled as we "speak"):
Attachments
FYpondEdgeFriPM2.jpg
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Nice Pond Viktoria!....Those kitty's just love to try to catch a fish. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
here fishy fishy fishy.jpg
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

viktoria wrote:(being filled as we "speak"):
Make sure to post a pic when it is full, Vik!!
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Yesterday I went to a friend's house to pick up some goldfish she had caught for me. She said there were nine, and I did not count them. When I got home, there were eight.

I put them in a larger container on the edge of the pond and, between putting the horses in for the night and the groceries in the house, gradually added water from the pond. When I was ready to put the fish in the pond, the largest and nicest one had disappeared!

I suspect I'll soon find out what happened to the one that disappeared on the way home...sniff, sniff...
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
tootsie

Post by tootsie »

Oh NOOOOOOOOOO, poor fish :( I have a pond thats about 160 X 50 and has natural springs. Out of no where I saw an orange fish swimming from the deep end to the shallow end of my pond! I never bought any fish, so it must have come in on the ducks? or on a pond lily a friend sent me? Then after seeing tht fish, I bought 6 koi and put them in the pond, then bought 8 more and put them in the pond....then went back and bought 10 more and yep in the pond they went!! I have yet to see them? Everyone has mentioned tht they must have gone to the deep end for the winter, but I know I chased away those rotten herons more than once! The last time hubby shot the 22 bullets into the water to scare the heron away! Geesh, I sure hope he left me a few fish :eek:
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Viktoria,
Come to my house! I have tons of 5-8 inch goldfish that need a new home! Some are all gold, some all white, some gold and white! If they don't get one soon, I'm going to have to build another pond and I don't have time for that! I am putting a small pre-formed in my shop, but have the fish here already.
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Oh yeah they made it...but they don't pose well for photo's. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
t pose for the photo.jpg
t pose for the photo.jpg (16.97 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
koi gobbling.jpg
New Topic Post Reply