Goldfish or Koi

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Goldfish or Koi

Postby Brenda's Beauty » Jun 10, 2004 7:50 pm

The pond is about the size of a regular home swimming pool that was constructed for flood control on the property. There are several mallard ducks, one goose, lots of bullfrogs and other pond visitors.

I have put goldfish and koi into the pond. I have not seen a koi, but have all kinds of weird Goldfish. I have put them on a 2X/day feeding program using commercial fish food and have produced some monster Goldfish with lots of color variation.

The pond is 5'deep.

What does one do with a thousand goldfish?
Brenda's Beauty-G
Brenda's Beauty

Goldfish or Koi

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Homer_Zn5 » Jun 24, 2004 5:24 pm

You get a big minnow trap and sell off the extras! That's how you make money to fuel your habit.
"Purveyor of Trivialities and Fine Nonsense."

Homer's Hosta List
Homer_Zn5

Postby whis4ey » Jun 25, 2004 3:52 am

You send them over to me .... the heron has scoffed all of mine :(
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
whis4ey

Postby AJC » Jun 26, 2004 9:43 am

Bet ya wish you shot the heron with a a gun instead of a camera huh Sam? :D

Annoying tho isnt it, and with a pond your size you would have a real prob stopping one getting them too :(

it seems there are always people interested in fish, try a local dealer see if you can work out a deal with them, even an advert in local paper "fish for sale" works.
What goes around, comes around!
So am I coming or going ?
AJC

Postby Indiana Gardener » Jul 02, 2004 5:39 pm

Ditto on the trap and sell. You can quarantine them in .3% salt water to be sure they are parasite free.
Yeah Sam, S.S.S. :)
Bye for now,
<i><b><font size="6" color="#0000cd" face="hansonshand">Indy</font></b></i>
Indiana Gardener

Postby putnamgardens » Oct 31, 2004 8:35 pm

It's been a while since this topic had a post. I just transfered my pond fish from a holding tank to a new 43 gallon, hexigon tank tonight. I hope they acclaimate. We lost one koi already. The water tested with good results. I guess as long as nobody's floating tomorrow will be the ultimate test. Later, Love, Lisa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
putnamgardens

Postby viktoria » Nov 01, 2004 6:34 am

Anyone with excess goldfish may personally deliver them to my door here in Upstate New York :D !

Here is where I shall put them (being filled as we "speak"):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
viktoria

Postby putnamgardens » Nov 01, 2004 10:43 pm

Nice Pond Viktoria!....Those kitty's just love to try to catch a fish. Later, Love, Lisa
putnamgardens

Postby JoshS » Nov 02, 2004 11:31 am

viktoria wrote:(being filled as we "speak"):

Make sure to post a pic when it is full, Vik!!
JoshS

USDA Zone: 4

Postby viktoria » Nov 03, 2004 6:29 am

Yesterday I went to a friend's house to pick up some goldfish she had caught for me. She said there were nine, and I did not count them. When I got home, there were eight.

I put them in a larger container on the edge of the pond and, between putting the horses in for the night and the groceries in the house, gradually added water from the pond. When I was ready to put the fish in the pond, the largest and nicest one had disappeared!

I suspect I'll soon find out what happened to the one that disappeared on the way home...sniff, sniff...
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
viktoria

Postby tootsie » Nov 14, 2004 11:05 pm

Oh NOOOOOOOOOO, poor fish :( I have a pond thats about 160 X 50 and has natural springs. Out of no where I saw an orange fish swimming from the deep end to the shallow end of my pond! I never bought any fish, so it must have come in on the ducks? or on a pond lily a friend sent me? Then after seeing tht fish, I bought 6 koi and put them in the pond, then bought 8 more and put them in the pond....then went back and bought 10 more and yep in the pond they went!! I have yet to see them? Everyone has mentioned tht they must have gone to the deep end for the winter, but I know I chased away those rotten herons more than once! The last time hubby shot the 22 bullets into the water to scare the heron away! Geesh, I sure hope he left me a few fish :eek:
tootsie

Postby Dusty » Jun 16, 2005 12:19 pm

Viktoria,
Come to my house! I have tons of 5-8 inch goldfish that need a new home! Some are all gold, some all white, some gold and white! If they don't get one soon, I'm going to have to build another pond and I don't have time for that! I am putting a small pre-formed in my shop, but have the fish here already.
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
Dusty

Postby putnamgardens » Jul 04, 2005 9:45 pm

Oh yeah they made it...but they don't pose well for photo's. Later, Love, Lisa
putnamgardens

Return to Pond Gardens and Bog Gardens