Not a pond but a water feature question

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Sue_Bee

Not a pond but a water feature question

Post by Sue_Bee »

Hi all - I'm making my first attempt at adding a water feature to my garden and things are going south fast... I need you help please...

The idea was to place an "old" urn over a sunken tub filled with rocks abd have the water spill out of the container, down the sides and into the hidden basin where the pump was hidden. Well I'm having a heck of a time hooking the pump to the piping that needs to come up thru the bottom of my container. I bought an adapter kit (with spray heads) for the pump but it the pieces just don't seem to make a good seal with the pump. I thought perhaps a piece of 3/4 copper pipe but still need some sort of adapter to make a good seal. Anyone have any good tricks for this or a source for fittings of this nature? would I be better off with flexible hosing going through a rigid "sleeve"
:hmm: ?
- Suzanne
You'll learn many things in a garden. Only one of them is how to be a better gardener."
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I wouldn't have made a hole in the 'urn'
I would have let the water flow into the urn from another source like a tap (faucet) or such like and then overflow. The feed pipe then would be to the tap :)
If you already have the hole in the urn then you may just try to effect a permanent seal with silicone or some such ?
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I would take your pump and fountain parts to your local Menards/Lowes/Home Depot and tell somewhat what you need to do. They will be able to fix you up!
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Josh ... that is the lazy man's way :lol:
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

May be, but at least she can get it right the first trip!
Sue_Bee

Post by Sue_Bee »

thanks guys. I did bring the pump etc off to the local nursery who and found a few fittings I think will do the trick. THe problem is garden season is just getting going here so the retailers aren't fully stocked & many of the water garden items are left overs from last year. Anyway, I used silicone to "glue" one into the bottom of the pot and will attach it to the pump with a short section of tubing. Once it is all cured I should be able to secure the bubbler pipe be friction fit, if not... MORE silicone.

Wish me luck, I'll post some pics when I get it working :)
- Suzanne
You'll learn many things in a garden. Only one of them is how to be a better gardener."
Sue_Bee

Post by Sue_Bee »

well here it is... I think I need either a stronger pump or some type of bubbler because it isn't making nuch noise.
Attachments
1stfountian.JPG
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

That looks fabulous Suebee
Maybe a stronger pump as you say?
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

Hun Ki Dory
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Very nice!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

Pretty.
You could make some noise by tilting it. Then you'd get a waterfall sound and you wouldn't have to take it apart.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
New Topic Post Reply