hosta

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

keith_novascotia

hosta

Post by keith_novascotia »

The hosta folks sent me over for your expert advice. I have a dry area under spruce trees Some hostas seem to love it there but I want to plant one of the larger ,more dramatic ones. Its not an area that I get to water very often. I have considered digging a hole about 18" deep and about 3' in dia. Filling it with good soil and mulch. What I would also like to do is line the bottom to hold what water it does get longer.I've considered plastic with a few pin holes for excess drainage but i'm worried that it will disintegrate in a few years. Could you recoment what I can use.Is landscape fabric better?
thanks
keith
AJC

Post by AJC »

upvc pond liner will last for years under, I burried one for a boggy area 10 years ago, lifted a bit of it last month and its still intact.

I have 3 hostas potted in my pond, and they are the best looking ones in the garden so drainage isnt needed much either it seems.
What goes around, comes around!
So am I coming or going ?
John

Post by John »

I have a tiny bog area right under a drainspout. Several years ago I made it by digging as deeply as possible (spruce and maple roots!) and lining it with heavy plastic with a few slashes in it; then filled back in with half of the soil and half peat moss. I planted it with various plants including a Hosta 'Bressingham Blue', which has done very well under these conditions. The soil here is very sandy, so with that and the root competition, this method worked.

The hosta was very blue but is now a bit greener as we approach August; flowers were gorgeous, and every one set a pod (o.p.).
New Topic Post Reply