Insect eggs in my biofilter?

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Insect eggs in my biofilter?

Post by doublemom2 »

I just pulled out my non-hardy pond plants from my biofilter, a couple of different umbrella plants and dwarf papyrus that stay in there all summer along with watercress. There is something white and tiny, by the thousands, covering the entire surface of the water in the biofilter. It looks like tiny insect eggs, and you can barely see things moving. It reminds me a bit of aphid eggs. There is a layer of these white things completely covering the entire surface of the biofilter water, I didn't see it before because my watercress grows completely over the biofilter and I haven't looked down below it for several weeks.

Any idea what this might be? I stopped my pump because I didn't want it all going down the waterfall and into the pond before I figure out what it is and what to do with it.

If it is aphids hatching (we have them here year-round), is it safe to let them go down the waterfall and into the pond so the fish might eat them? I've never heard of aphid eggs being in water???

Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
AJC

Post by AJC »

It does look like aphids, didnt think they would get so close to water, I know they secrete a sticky mess that can effect the plants around it, not sure what effect if any they might have on the water and water plants, interesting problem.
What goes around, comes around!
So am I coming or going ?
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Could be aphids, but they don't normally hang out on the water. Check the plants you removed...they may have fallen off of the plants. Aphids can be a real problem on lilies and probably other aquatics, as well.

You can mix a little (table spoon or two) hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and a couple drops of dish soap in a quart of water and spray them. Wrinse it off any plants after 15 minutes.
New Topic Post Reply