Gunera manicata?

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gruntfuttock

Gunera manicata?

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I have a plant which was sold to me as Gunera Manicata. It stands beside the pond in a large hole lined with plastic to keep its feet wet.

The coming spring will be its 6th so by now I should be expecting large tall leaves, but so far it has been disapointing, growing to about two feet with leaves about two feet each. The root ball when I dug it up to insert the plastic liner weighed nearly 200 lbs, and it has about 15 flower spikes. It has also produced two seedlings which have grown to about the same size.

I'm wondering if one of two factors could be true.

1. It is short of nitrogen, the dark green leaves would indicate to me that this is perhaps not the case.

2. It is not manicata. I'm wondering if there are smaller gunneras which look like manicata in everything but size.

Can anyone help please?
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

There are smaller Gunnera species. That's about all I can tell you. There are other Gunnera growers here...hopefully they can give you more info!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

GF, go down about 15 or so posts on this forum. Sam has som spectacular ones. Bet he can help with your questions.
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Sam's on Holiday, right now.... so ya might have to wait a week or so, if he doesnt check in. Why dont ya leave him a post asking for his help? It might make him feel he's been missed. :D :wink:
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
AJC

Post by AJC »

they are greedy feeders, and like to be in soil rather than a tub or or restricted liner.

do you cover it each winter? the root is quite hardy, but the crowth stems are not, so if last years growing point died a new one will be small each year, that might account for a small palnt with a large root ball.
What goes around, comes around!
So am I coming or going ?
andrew davis

Post by andrew davis »

It is possible your position is stunting its growth, or you have a small form of Gunnera. If the position is a bit dryish, a bit sunny, a bit short on lashings of fertility, Gunnera can be a bit insipid

The most impressive stands of Gunnera I came across where usually in valleys with high trees around them, unlimited well decomposed leaf compost, abundant moisture

You might look up photographs of the gardens of Heligan, Sheffield Park gardens, Hodnet Hall, to get some idea of how they like their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun...

Regards, andy
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/in ... opic=349.0
~ A few from the Summer of '06 ~
Attachments
Gunnera at Hodnet
Gunnera at Hodnet
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

This is my own Gunnera
They need lots of water and freedom for the roots to develop
Attachments
gunnera11.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply