Invasive aquatics banned in Michigan - Iris and Fallopia

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Invasive aquatics banned in Michigan - Iris and Fallopia

Post by Chris_W »

I just received a letter today from the Michigan Department of Agriculture letting us know that Iris pseudacorus and Fallopia japonica have been restricted from sale in the State of Michigan as they are now considered invasive aquatics.

I wasn't surprised about the yellow flag iris but the Fallopia came as a complete shock to me. We have sold Fallopia japonica 'Variegata' for years as a garden plant and personally I did not know until this year that it was a water plant. We were going to dig them this weekend as we have a really nice crop this year. What a shame that we have to destroy them all now :(

Several nurseries have Fallopia for sale and even the yellow flag iris. In fact, I just received a wholesale flyer last Friday for some water plants that included both of those plants.

For those of you who have these plants I would recommend taking care to keep them in check. Don't plant them near natural waterways or wetlands where they might get loose, and with the yellow flag iris be sure to deadhead them to prevent self sown seedlings.

I'm sure there will be other plants that get banned eventually too.
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Are you talking about the normal old yellow iris?
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, that's the one. The old yellow flag iris that likes water, I always see people planting them in ditches where they get really tall.

Still haven't dug ours up yet. They are in full bloom and still look too nice :( We won't sell them now, of course. :???:
Annie

Post by Annie »

Oh and I really like the yellow flags. I don't think they are banned here in IL, or at least I hope not! My sister just gave me a bunch of them! I don't know what the other plant you listed is.

I would hate to dig all those pretty flags up too!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

So, Chris? Does that mean that you can sell them outside of michigan either? That's sad, that you'll lose yet another plant you had spent time and money invested in!

Sorry to hear it!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
ademink

Post by ademink »

Chris, I was of the understanding that 'variegata' isn't invasive like the plain ol' FJ. I've had 'variegata' for 3 years now and though it gets large and tall, not at all invasive, no runners, etc.

I'm really surprised that it's all varieties that are listed!

Andrea
Help! I'm being held hostage!

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Andrea,

The notice I received included all variations of the species, so it would have been my understanding that it included 'Variegata'.

Although it may not be as aggressive, it does send out runners. We have it planted in soil that floods occasionally and has new plants coming up 4 or 5 feet from the main clumps. In dry soil I've seen it run even farther, but never so much I couldn't control it in the garden. I think part of the concern might be if it self seeds, and there might be some green seedlings, plus it must be getting out of control somewhere or they wouldn't have banned it. There are much worse plants out there, in my opinion, and I love this one so much it is a real shame we can't share it anymore :(

However, I have also been growing Iris pseudacorus 'Sun Cascade' for years and noticed this year that it didn't set any seed. The regular and variegated versions growing right alongside ALL had seed pods. So it makes me wonder if it wasn't sterile and I just never noticed. But, not wanting to take any chances they've all been destroyed now.

I might keep one plant of the Fallopia in my own garden. I have one in a very dry spot under the eaves and it has done very well there, and there is no chance of it going anywhere. Now if I could just keep the Japanese beetles of it...

Thanks for the input :)

Chris
John

Post by John »

I wonder if Lythrum was also banned at any point there? I know even mentioning it as a possible trade would generate quantities of angry postings on some sites! Also, I wonder if some of the Lythrum hybrids thought to be sterile really are...
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

John wrote:I wonder if Lythrum was also banned at any point there? I know even mentioning it as a possible trade would generate quantities of angry postings on some sites! Also, I wonder if some of the Lythrum hybrids thought to be sterile really are...
Yes, Lythrum was banned quite a few years back actually. They still exclude the so called "sterile" hybrids as being allowed for sale, but it was found that those hybrids are only self-sterile. When cross pollinated with wild populations they can still produce seed...
John

Post by John »

Thanks, Chris. Interesting, I had not known that.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

I would have never expected to hear that Fallopia japonica 'Variegata' is invasive. I have had mine planted for about 4 years in a somewhat dry, open-shade location and it does wonderfully. Each year it has a couple additional shoots, but just what I would consider normal growth, not invasive.

I hope it's not banned in Illinois, I just dug out 2 small sections of mine, I gave one to my sister and the other is going to a friends house.

It's a plant that people notice when they walk through the yard because of the unusual speckled leaves. I just love it.

I feel bad about the situation it puts you in, Chris. Is there any recourse for the investment you have made in stock that you will have to destroy?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply