Raised ponds

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Raised ponds

Post by Annie »

I have a small pond I put in the back yard last year. I really liked it but I put it in all by myself and it ain't pretty :lol:
The planting around it looks good though! :D
But anyhow I wanted to make it bigger so I found this site on the internet. It will be a raised pond. I'll be putting this one over the pond I have now.

So the pond will be about 4' in the deepest part and 3' in the shallow end. About 7'w x 7'L.

I have all the stuff I need so I'll be making this tomorrow!!

http://www.aquariaplants.com/pondpage.htm

Anyone tried a raised pond?
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

Good luck, Annie! Let us see how it turns out!!!!!! :D
sunnydee

Post by sunnydee »

Hey I have a quick question since it is a raised pond, can you winter fish over in it? If you can it's something I definately am interested in. I have a yellow lab (with alot of pup still in her) and she loves my little preformed, inground pond. Luckily the fish have survived her "trips" to the pond but my lilies aren't so lucky. Fortunately they weren't expensive besides her g-pa is a champion water retriever so it is in her blood and I can't be too harsh on her for that.
Please post pictures of your progress, I can't wait to see how yours turns out. I am also thinking this would help create some more shade areas for more hosta. :P Wonder how difficult it would be to make a 6 sided one?
Annie

Post by Annie »

Well I'm not sure about overwintering fish in it but I'm gonna try. I did get a pond deicer for it.

I did get the pond done but some people prob wouldn't like it cause I used a pool liner! So of course it's blue LOL. But the fish seem happy and the plants are growing, so I don't mind the blue. At first I wasn't sure about the blue, but it kinda grows on ya :) I'm glad I made it, more room for my fishies, and the tadpoles and frogs LOL.

I do like the natural look better but, now my dogs have a much harder time getting into it :lol: So I can live with the raised pond.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

It won't be long before algae grows on the liner and it will be dark green, just like the black liners.

I had a 18" deep preformed pond that I buried halfway in the ground. I knew it would freeze solid so I used to overwinter my goldfish in a plastic 30 gallon trash can in my basement.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thats what I'm hoping for :) But if not I kinda like it anyway LOL. I just put the raised one over the pond I already had in the ground. So it's about 16" in the ground and about 2 to 3' (depending on which side your on) above the ground.

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply