Raised pond almost done

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Raised pond almost done

Post by Annie »

Well this is my pond. I know it don't look natural but I wanted a deeper pond, ok I didn't want to dig anymore either :D

Plantings around it are kinda skimpy because I stepped on several and moved some.

Still have to put trim around under the top boards to cover the blue liner sticking out!

Trying to figure a way to make a waterfall. I want it to fit the square pond, so I'm kinda stuck. Right now I have the filter hose just running straight into the pond.
Attachments
pondmgi.jpg
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

It looks nice and lush, Annie! If I was doing mine today I would also have part of it raised. would be much easier for me to maintain it. good job!...Jackie
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

I like it.
Personally, I would make the waterfall square like the pond sitting in the corner by the deck. I would use a square plastic box like a storage container with the inlet hose from the pump going in the bottom or back, and set it in a wood frame that resembles the wood around your pond. Have the wood on the back, both sides and maybe the top. The plastic container tilted down in the wood box so it spills out across the front edge.
You could even have more than one waterfall box, like a small one spilling into a larger one and that one spilling into the pond. You have the railing on your deck to help support it so you could stack water filled boxes pretty high if you want.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Annie

Post by Annie »

Thanks Jackie :) I like it too, I have to since I built it LOL. But really I like the natural ones better but this worked best for what I wanted. I don't think it turned out to bad :)

Gardentoad,
Thanks for the idea! My brother is into ponds and he said I should also make a square waterfall. I did think of making a box to go around it using wood, but I just wasn't sure how to make the waterfall in the box itself, now I know!

Ok now I have another question for ya :lol: My brother gave me a statue that he rigged up and made a squirter thing out of. Like the things ya hook to the pumps to make different water sprays. What could I put in the bottom of the pond so I can set the statue in the middle of it? The pond isn't real level on the bottom in the center. I was thinking milk crates.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

Milk crates will work if it's a plastic statue. If it's cement I'd go with a cinder block. I've used both in my puddle. The milkcrates will eventually start to sag if you put something heavy on it. I just had a rock on mine when I found that out.

Do you have koi in you're pond? I've hear of them getting stuck in milk crares when they try to swim through the holes that they swam through when they were smaller fish.
I cut larger openings in the sides of mine because of that.

Now I don't use the crates anymore. They want to float too and in my case that made it hard to set pots and things on them.
I have my pond at ground level and it isn't flat on the bottom either so I had to set the pot on the crate first to hold it down, then adjust it to set level while bending over across the pond.
I came close to falling in a few times and have had pots slide off the crate into the pond several times.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
Annie

Post by Annie »

Yeah it's plastic. And yes I do have koi in there. That was a concern about the milk crates. Afraid they would get stuck in the crates! Am thinking of cutting out the sides and trying it that way. I'm short anyway, so anything I do to the pond I have to get in it :lol:

Well I tried to make a waterfall, oh it was a sorry mess :o
Took me 8 hours to make a stupid looking thing when it was done :lol:
I got an outdoor planter and i'm going to try and make that into a water fall of some sort. Was gonna use flowerpots but have no idea how!

~~Annie~~
Zeddicus

Fountain

Post by Zeddicus »

Just an idea, the following is easy to make and I have had many compliments on it's uniqueness (is that a word?)
Attachments
canadaday 011.jpg
New Topic Post Reply