New/expanded bog

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

New/expanded bog

Post by Tigger »

For the most part, you can read about it on Tigger's Member Page. (there's a close-up of a sarracenia there)

Here's the general view:

There are 3 sarracenia: s. purpurea, s. x Scarlet Belle, and s. leucantha Tarnock (the double-flowered one). At the far end is a clump of spiranthes cernuum (lady's tresses orchid, a native) that I've had for a while as well. There are a couple of kinds of carex and acorus. The scarlet lobelia started showing up volunteer here, although I don't remember ever planting one (maybe I scattered seeds from one I planted in the meadow?). So I added blue lobelia and some of the hybrids, which are just beginning to bloom (not in this pic). And for grins I put in a native hibiscus, which I'm sure will get too large. I covered the surface with sheet moss and am mulching with white pine needles. And I was smart (I think) that I built a sort of 6-inch ledge of hard dirt all around the outside before the bog proper starts, so I can always stand/straddle here without sinking.

The wet area behind this, while not officially a bog, has japanese iris in blue, purple, and white, plus some variegated forms. This is getting funneled spring water and rain water, so is still pretty wet. Behind them are some risky ones: gooseneck loosestrife (lysimachia clethroides) and obedient plant (physostegia). Yup, I know they're aggressive, but if anything decent can grow in this soil, more power to 'em. There are some elephant ears that I'll test for hardiness, and sweet-bay magnolias behind that.

This is the area that used to be a swamp leading to a compost heap, but it was not far from our driveway and just becoming an eyesore. Eye sore no more!
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Great way to utilize a problem area! A great opportunity to grow some really cool plants, too.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Very nice! I checked out your member page to see what you've been up to . . . WOW, that's some nice work! I'm sure it's very rewarding, too.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply