New pond ... Almost there

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

New pond ... Almost there

Post by addieotto »

Our new pond is almost done but we hit a snag today when I discovered a frog in the pond already :o I needed to fill the pond to check the height of the overflow edge to the water level but I was afraid to dump a lot of chlorinated hose water in and harm the frog :???:

I'm thrilled with the pond, thrilled with the frog... it will just take us a bit longer to get it together.

And the frog was hiding in the acorus all day (which I bought from Chris this past spring) so I was afraid to disturb it. Once it's frog free I can plant it upright!!! Out of the three acorus I bought only one survived my dogs digging in our old teeny pond/bog.
Attachments
frog2.JPG
frog2.JPG (30.5 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
pondwork2.JPG
pondwork2.JPG (47.55 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I wouldn't worry about chlorinating the frog. He can always jump out and go back to where he came from, then come back when everything's happy.

The pond looks great! I wanted to build one this summer, but the $$ and time ended up going elsewhere.
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I wouldn't worry about it, either. It looks like you have some good cover near by...you'll have plenty of frogs in no time!

Post another picture when it is finished :D
addieotto

Post by addieotto »

Thanks for the thoughts! I wasn't sure she would feel comfortable hopping out during the day yesterday but at night she did move out of the water. At least I didn't see her this morning or when I got home from work. I tried to make some extra hiding spots for her with some stones just in case I destroyed her original home in the digging. And then there's the yucca which is a great hiding spot.

So I lost one day of work instead of freaking her out or chlorinating her! Thankfully it rained all day today so I found a much higher water level when I got home from work. And I'll top off the water level real quick while she's out.

It didn't occur to me that she might just stay out until the water was better, LOL :wink: I suppose all of the reading I was doing applied to frogs in aquarium settings where they couldn't just up and leave.

Tigger - I've wanted a pond for so long!!! We decided to make a "cheaper" pond by doing this one as a still pond with plants and wildlife instead of all sorts of fish and pumps and filters. That will come later I'm sure because I'm totally in love with how this is coming out. And there's plenty of new spots for HOSTA around part of the pond so that gives me another excuse (as if I needed one)!!!
SUE
addieotto

Post by addieotto »

Getting better. Three fish have joined the frog and lots of fall sale plants (and plants poached from other gardens in the yard - oh well, an excuse to buy more next year :lol: ) are making it look comfy.

The frog has been living alternately in the yucca and a juniper just on the other side of the yucca. Can't wait to see how it grows in next year!
Attachments
planted.JPG
planted.JPG (47.57 KiB) Viewed 6904 times
fishies.JPG
fishies.JPG (34.93 KiB) Viewed 6904 times
SUE
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Just wanted to say I think your pond is very pretty and peaceful looking. We want to put one in some day and that is the look I want.

Claudia
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

Wow...what a difference!! 8-)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

It's beautiful!!!! :D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

~~~WOW!~~~ :o That's really looking good. Unfortunately, mine is still in the box it came in. It may be spring before I can get to it. I'll just come and look at the pics of yours and pretend it's in my garden. :lol: Thanks for sharing!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
addieotto

2007 Update

Post by addieotto »

I thought I would add an update now that the pond area is growing in and some of the decking is in place. I can't wait for flowers. And I tucked in at least ten hosta including September Sun hiding under a large clump of grass on the left side of the first photo.

I could stare at this all day. If I ever do it again, it's going to be bigger if I have to rent a backhoe.
Attachments
pix 117.JPG
pix 116.JPG
SUE
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Your pond is awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing! :D
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
JoshS

Re: 2007 Update

Post by JoshS »

addieotto wrote:If I ever do it again, it's going to be bigger if I have to rent a backhoe.
LOL...I can't even begin to count how many times I've heard that. Heck, I've done it twice, myself!

Beautiful pond!
addieotto

Post by addieotto »

Well Josh, I've seen your pond :o and it's the type of pond that MAKES ME WANT A BIGGER POND :lol: :lol: :lol: !!! So I can blame it all on you, ok? :D :D :D
SUE
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

OH WOW :eek:
That is beautiful!!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
addieotto

Post by addieotto »

Thanks all. My boyfriend is truly amazing. While it looks like the stones are on the deck, the deck is actually cut to fit around the stones. When he came up with the idea I thought he was nuts and it would never happen but he showed me up. :P
SUE
JoshS

Post by JoshS »

addieotto wrote:So I can blame it all on you, ok? :D :D :D
Sure, why not... :lol:
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Love your pond! Will the fish stay in it all winter?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply