Spiranthes cernua - a native orchid

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Spiranthes cernua - a native orchid

Post by Tigger »

This is blooming its heads off this year. It's supposed to be fragrant (sold to me as the Chadds Ford cultivar), but I just get a faint smell that's not particularly pleasant. Maybe a little vanilla-y. Maybe on a warmer day it would smell better, or maybe, like some orchids, it smells more at different times of the day.
This is hardy to zone 3 according to Plant Delights. I have it on the edge of the bog in normal soil.

DH picked a couple of stems so you can see the "spiral" effect, here with a couple of tired hosta leaves.

Here's a nice article I found about the plant: http://www.sunfarm.com/picks/spiranthes ... 4020.phtml
impatience

Post by impatience »

Sounds like a nice plant and yours is lovely. Where does one find such a plant?
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

How neat!!
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Very cool!

I tried growing this once, but it never returned. Maybe too dry...I should try again.

How much sun does your plant get?
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Impatience: Plant Delights sells it, among others. It increases fairly well, despite the abuse I've shown it. We got ours at a university plant sale that features a lot of natives.

Josh: this gets summer sun from 9 to 2 (and open shade past that), but had previously been in dappled shade and done o.k. It does want moisture, though. The leaves are very fleshy. It looks like a weedy grass for most of the year; I have to warn my landscape crew not to weed-whack it.
New Topic Post Reply