At last!! I have a pond!

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Linda P

At last!! I have a pond!

Post by Linda P »

Years and years of planning, preparing, gathering supplies. I bought the liner/pump/filter kit two years ago. I've been hoarding rocks for half a decade.
Saturday, June 9, my son in law and grandsons came out to look the situation over and make the plans for where the pond would go. By the end of the afternoon, the pond and pool were both dug, underlined, lined and filled. This week I've been moving rocks, setting up the pump and filter, creating the waterfall. Fridaymorning I got a few pond plants, and Friday afternoon the 'construction crew' returned to help place the big cedar snag that I got from my dad years ago, and place the larger rocks that I can't carry.
Saturday DD came with a bag of small goldfish from the pet store. The only things left to do are to install a separate GFCI outlet for the cord (it's now running off the one in the bathroom, not real convenient!) and add a few rocks here and there.
Without further ado, here are some pics!
Linda P
Attachments
Pool June 16.JPG
Pond June 16.JPG
Pond view from deck.jpg
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

:D :P :D Looks wonderful, Linda!! :P So good to finally be able to see what you've been describing to me. A picture or 2 are defninitely worth a 1000 words. Can't wait to enjoy it in person. 8-)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

I'd say that was well worth the wait, Linda!!! Very nice and I love that old log!!
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

Very nice Linda. Congratulations on a job well done!

Lynn
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Looks wonderful, Linda. I love it when ideas and dreams become a finished project. What's the difference between a pond and a pool? And who are the monsters on the backside?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
I'm green with envy!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks, everyone!! It was a lot of work, a lot of dreaming, but it's so worth every minute of it.
Renaldo, you AREN'T insinuating that I talk too much, are you? :roll: I didn't think so. And I can't wait for you to see it in person!
Josh, I love the log, too. It's doubly cool because it comes from the place I grew up. I may have even played under that tree when it was alive, or cut branches from it to make Christmas wreaths. It took one man and two boys to move it. DH and I picked it up out at Dad's farm and shoved it up into his pickup truck. It rode around with him for a while until we had the energy to get it hauled over to the spot where the pond was going. I've had the log for a couple of years now, too, just marking the spot! It's cedar, so it's really heavy, and I think it will hold up for quite a few years to come. I have it propped up on rocks so it isn't touching the ground, so I'm hoping that it won't rot anytime soon.
Mary Ann, the pond is the deep part, with the fish and the pump. I decided to make a shallower section separate from the pond, and call it a pool. The waterfall drips into it, and then the water goes over a few rocks down into the larger, deeper end. So, it's just a way for me to describe the two different spaces.
Jane...Start collecting junk that no one wants, and before you know it, you'll have the supplies you need for a pond, too! I'm pretty sure that DH thought I had finally flipped my lid when I asked him to load up a pile of rocks from his friend's barn, and then one day I took off with his truck while he was milking, and came back with another load of rocks from a house foundation that was being replaced.
He really did look at me like I had a screw loose when I said I needed the log, but I THINK he likes it now. He doesn't spend too much time in the yard, but I did see him out there yesterday afternoon gazing into the pond, looking at the fish.
One of my good friends said that in the years to come, I can sit up on my deck and yell at my great-grandchildren to stop climbing on the log before they fall into the water. There's a word picture!
Linda P

My Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Oops, sorry, Mary Ann.
The monsters in the back are Unchained Melody on the right ( it lost a few leaves in the pond construction) and Zippity Do Dah on the left.
Linda P

My Hosta List
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

OHHHH, Linda!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job!!!!!!!!! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

Linda, your pond if beautiful!! I'll bet your soooo happy with it.

Debbie
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Looks great, Linda. Congrats on a beautiful pond. Love the cedar too! :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
hostadad

Post by hostadad »

I gotta tell you Linda, your pond is is landscaped so well, it is very beautiful! I enjoy looking at it.

David.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thank you, Charla, Debbie, Paul and David. It has been so much fun getting it done at last. I'm off to sit on the deck, sip my coffee, and listen to the waterfall!
Linda P

My Hosta List
Annie

Post by Annie »

WOW very nice!!!

I too love that log 8-)

Looks/sounds like you have put a lot of work into it. And it is perfect!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

That's wonderful! Great job by you and the entire "crew"!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
New Topic Post Reply