Does anybody here overwinter taro indoors?

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Does anybody here overwinter taro indoors?

Post by Gardentoad »

I asked about this on the houseplant tropical forum but I thought maybe I should have asked here.

I brought them in because they are not hardy in my area (zone 5).They are planted in gravel and a small amount of clay. I have most of them in baskets that are sitting in a couple inches of water. Last year I had a problem with rot and lost half of them, but they were not planted in gravel then. I need to know what lighting I need and how wet/damp or dry to keep them for the winter. I have Black magic, Imperial and some green ones.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Re: Does anybody here overwinter taro indoors?

Post by JoshS »

Let them dry slightly between waterings and give them as much light as you can. They aren't going to grow as much as they do during the summer, so they need to be drier. They may even go dormant. If so, water them even less.
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Does anybody here overwinter taro indoors?

Post by Gardentoad »

Thanks Josh. :)
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
New Topic Post Reply