Will Roundup kills cat tails?

Use this area to discuss pond gardening, bog gardening, and related topics.

Moderator: Chris_W

Tundra_Queen

Will Roundup kills cat tails?

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi

I have a small pond and the cat tails have invaded the other plants in the other pots. The one pot I'm really worried about is the cat tail that is in with the water lily now.

I no longer have the strength to lift the pots out of the pond so I'm wondering if I spray some round up on a sponge or paper towel and just put it along the top of the cat tails leaves if it will kill the cat tails and kill them without killing the irises and water lilies in the pots?

I don't have fish in the pond anymore so it is just plants in the pond.

thanks

viktoria

Re: Will Roundup kills cat tails?

Post by viktoria »

Are you willing to risk killing everything else in the pond as well? What about overflow? Is the pond contained?

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Yes the pond is contained and around it is raised beds. The pond is only 18" deep in the middle and about 4' X 6'.

I would not be spraying the round up on the leaves, but onto a sponge in my hand or paper towel in my hand then using that to wipe the leaves of the cat tails.

Do u think just wiping the leaves would make the roundup leach out of the cat tail roots into the pond and kill the other plants in the pots in the water?

I might be able to get my son to use tree loopers on the cat tail leaves instead.

rockNhostas
USDA Zone: 4a

Post by rockNhostas »

I would not use Round Up. Even if the water is contained, I'm sure frogs and other little creatures use it.
At our previous residence, we had a pond. My husband kept the cattails in check by going in and physically pulling them out. They have very long roots, but if you grasp them way at the bottom, they come out fairly easy. If you cannot handle that physically, I would find someone who could help you with that. It sounds like the pond is small, so it shouldn't take all that long. Ours was quite large, one that we could canoe and swim in, and we were able to keep the cattails from over taking it.
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Unfortunately we have no frogs. We do have birds though they usually use the bird baths.

I cannot pull them out, I was only able to cut 2 of them. I will try to find someone who can help.

Thanks for your comments. :D

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I'd sure find someone to help on this one TQ. Round up and water as such as ponds can be scary even if you are really careful to do it
by hand.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

I think you're supposed to use Rodeo instead of RoundUp (or AquaMaster) for pond applications. It's the same glyphosate herbicide but a different formulation (avoiding the surfactants that someone else mentioned). The problem is finding it in small quantities. I think your careful sponge/paper towel application to the leaves is worth a try. Just be careful of drips!

This site has comments about timing the application for best results: http://ohioline.osu.edu/a-fact/0011.html

David
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Thanks kht and Tigger. I spoke to a guy tonight and he said he would help me with the cat tails.

I tried to pull the pots out but I just don't have the strength. So hopefully this will work. I liked the mini cat tails, but they are no longer minis.they are now very tallLOL

I have a little pond on the patio and I'm going to try and put one the pots in there but cut off the cat tails when winter comes so they don't fluff out and spread like they did last year.

New Topic Post Reply