Can you identify these?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Can you identify these?

Post by Patrushka »

I have two shrubs and a tree that I would like to identify. I"ll the the other two in separte posts. DH saw this somewhere in the neighborhood and took these pics. Does anyone know what it is?
Attachments
Mystery Tree Shrubs 002c.jpg
Mystery Tree Shrubs 001c.jpg
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

This shrub grew in one of my hosta beds and I just liked the way it looked so I left it there. It kept getting bigger but it never bloomed. I was going to dig it out this year and surprise!
Attachments
Flowers
Flowers
Buds and Leaves
Buds and Leaves
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

This one has thorns on it. We noticed this year that it has a sweet fragrance.

I would love to know what they all are. If you recognize any of them please let me know.
Attachments
Flowers
Flowers
Thorn ~ camera focused on the background but you get the idea.
Thorn ~ camera focused on the background but you get the idea.
Leaves
Leaves
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
Snow

Post by Snow »

Top one sure looks like a magnolia tree? The middle one looks like a honeysuckle bush. Not sure about the 3rd one.
~*Snow*~
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Yep, what Snow said.

I bought my honeysuckle 3 years ago at a plant sale put on by a local gardening club. I planted it by my back fence thinking it was going to be a vine. It's a bush! :lol: It was going to go into the compost pile if it didn't bloom this year.....so of course it did! :D
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

YOur honeysuckle shrub, probably Lonicera tatarica, will get red berries all over it. Then, the birds will spread it all over the place. That's how your's got there. There are a few cultivars with red flowers. 'Arnold Red' comes to mind.
I'm scratchin my head on that thorny one.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

That honeysuckle is a noxious weed. Get rid of it!
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks so much Snow, Pat, OED and Viktoria! :D

I thought the first one was a Magnolia tree. An acquaintance of DH's told him it was not a tree but a shrub because of the multiple trunks. :roll: I tried searching the web but just couldn't find anything. After I read the replies here, I typed Magnolia Tree into my search and found a common and botanical name, Saucer Magnolia ~ Magnolia x soulangiana. With that info, I found a University of Illinois site and it says this tree is multi-stemmed.

I had the slightest inkling that the second shrub might be a Honeysuckle because the flowers resembled the vine from he[[ that I've been fighting in the yard. I'm glad to have a confirmation. I will be removing it now that I know it will try to take over. :o

I wonder what the last one could be.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

That honeysuckle is a noxious weed. Get rid of it!
But...I LIKE it!! :( It reminds me of the one that grew by our back door when I was a kid.
jay dee

shrub

Post by jay dee »

Pat - Please, feel free to come to my house and take all the honeysuckle you want. We have hundred's of feet of fence with this growing in them. Some are 20' tall. We even have a tool called a honeysuckle popper, so it will be easy for you to take all you want.

Just call me,

generous jay dee
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

:lol: :lol: Thanks JayDee but I think one will be enough. In fact, I have a feeling that someday I'll be sorry I didn't get rid of it. :)
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

I like it too, Pat. :D In fact, I was going to leave it until I saw Viktoria's post. Is yours like mine or something different?

My mom remembers a honeysuckle bush from when she was a little girl. She says it had yellow flowers. I was really tickled when this thing bloomed this year. 8-)

I'm thinking about keeping it again. :wink: If I prune it when it's finished blooming, and it does need pruning, then it won't get berries and it won't multiply. I'm wondering why I have never seen any others anywhere around the neighborhood.
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

You haven't seen others because your neighbors were smart enough to get rid of (or never plant it in the first place) a shrub that is on every state's list of noxious weeds.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
treelover3

Post by treelover3 »

The magnolia is a Saucer magnolia, Magnolia x soulangiana (or sometimes spelled x soulangeana).

The Saucer magnolia is a very popular tree (or very large shrub) and there are at least 30 cultivars of this plant selected for flower color, bloom time, etc. Some of the more unusual types may only be available via mail order.
Mike
patsue53

Post by patsue53 »

Mine is exactly like yours Patrushka. I decided to do some research on the plant since I don't want to be responsible for spreading an invasive plant (but don't take kindly to arbitrary orders :lol: ) I found this article that has convinced me that my poor honeysuckle has to go. http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/outreach/VMG/bhnysckl.html

Just a side note....I was tickled to see the name of the author of this article. Randy was one of the kids in my neighborhood when I was growing up! I had heard that he was a conservationist working for the State of Ilinois but havn't seen or talked to him in at least 30 years! :D
Patrushka

Post by Patrushka »

Thanks Mike. :D That's the name I found in my google search.

:lol: Well, someone must not have been smart enough to get rid of it or I wouldn't have one growing in my hosta bed. :o

I guess it has to go! After my experience with the pretty honeysuckle vine which I later found out was Hall's Honeysuckle :evil:, I certainly don't want to be responsible for proliferating these. The Hall's vines are going to get a nice drink of round up this year because I am tired of fighting them.

:cool: Pat. It's a small world, isn't it?
Pat
My Hosta List

~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply