Identify these evergreens

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

trlhiker

Identify these evergreens

Post by trlhiker »

Hi everyone, I need help in identifying 2 evergreens growing in my side yard. They are both about 3 years old. I believe one is a Juniper, not sure about the other. Here are the pictures. Thanks.
Closeups
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Arborvitae.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

I am not sure that Viktoria is totally correct. The scaling is much different than what I know as an arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis). I do not know if there is another family that also goes by the common name of arborvitae.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I think Kellie is correct. I have never seen a "pokey" arborvitae and that one looks "pokey" to me. I would also guess some sort of juniper, but I do not know which one.

Sorry I am not more help!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
DryGulch

They are juniper, but definitely a prettier, upright sort...

Post by DryGulch »

Probably members of the Juniperus scopulorum family...

Most members of this species are bluer...yours seem more green. The Rocky Mountain Junipers are not seen a lot at the big box stores and when they are tend to get snatched up very quickly compared to the arborvitae to which they are very similar in growth habit.

Welchi, Witchita, Sky Rocket, and Moonglow are the more common varieties, but all are bluer, greyer, or purplier. Maybe yours are one of these and the color is off in your picture.

You might compare them to Cologreen or Cupressifolia Erecta or Chandler's Silver.

There are a couple dozen different selected cultivars. I guess I would start there. If you are looking to match them in another part of your yard, look for the Latin name and find something similar. Be aware there are members of this family that are low-growing and prostrate, rather than upright. Check the tags!
trlhiker

Post by trlhiker »

Thanks for all of the replies. I have some Thujas towards my back fence and the branches are totally different from the two above. The pictures don't really show the slight blueness of the tree, especially lower down, so I believe you are correct. I did a Google search of Cupressifolia Erecta and found some species that look very similar to what I have. I was mainly concerned that these would outgrow the area in which they are planted and tower over the house.
If they get 15 to 20 feet high, that is acceptable. Once again thanks for all help.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

They look like Red Cedar to me...are they pretty vigorous? Red Cedar is a Thuja, I think...just one variety. I would say 'no' to arborvitae.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

If they are red cedar, they will most certainly outgrow your house. The birds bring them in by seed and they reproduce quickly by seed....
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Not a Western red cedar (Thuja plicata)
New Topic Post Reply