Using Crapemyrtle as 'screen' down property line?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Rookie_Green_Thumb

Using Crapemyrtle as 'screen' down property line?

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

Just wondering if others have any Crapemyrtles and how well they grow. Im looking for a pretty fast grower between the property line in the back yard. I have about 4 groups of mature trees lining the area and wanted to put some 'wild' looking bushes in between the groupings to provide more privacy. The crapemyrtles are gorgeous...and I found some lovely pink (I think 'pink velour') for a good price.

The color they provide alone has me thinking that even if they are a little slower to grow, I would enjoy the color regardless.

Anyone have any comments? The info says they are 'full sun' growers...if I planted alongside the trees would they do well? They would still recieve a lot of sun...probably not what they would consider 'full' though.
Jaime
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

As a specimen plant I think they're fine, but IMO having several groups of that same cotton-candy pink would be too much. They do have nice winter interest, at least.

For a good wild-looking (actually native) bush that also provides food for wildlife, how about cranberry-bush viburnum (v. trilobum)? Or another native that comes in some great leaf colors is ninebark ([/i]physocarpus[/i]). The 'Diablo' is a great color, and would make a nice set with the crape myrtle between.
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

You bring up a good point about over doing it Tigger. And thank you sooo much for introducing me to the diabolo ninebark! Wow! What a lovely shrub! I am going to hit some of the nurseries here in the area and see what they have in stock. If they dont have them, I think I will try ordering online (it will be my first online plant ordering experience).

I really love the dark leaves on the diabolo. I have a few wine and roses shrubs in the front landscaping that I love for that very same reason.

Thanks for the post! :D
Jaime
New Topic Post Reply