Weeping Cypress I.D. Needed

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

KCGirl

Weeping Cypress I.D. Needed

Post by KCGirl »

I saw a tree in "Living the Country Life" magazine identified only as a weeping cypress. It has a unique corkscrew/S-shaped trunk with long, weeping vine-like branches. It was photographed in Jeff Osser's personal moss garden in St. Louis, MO. It looks "bonsiaish" but I don't believe that he manipulated it. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks! :-?
KC Girl
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi KCGirl!! I'm afraid I can't help you, but I wanted to say Hi, and welcome you to the forums here!! Nice to have you!

I'm sure someone will come along and help with your question...... :D

Have fun, and Welcome! :D
DryGulch

weeping cypress

Post by DryGulch »

The best source I have come across for identifying the unusual non-deciduious tree is Foxwillow Nursery. Rich specializes in unusual conifer, larches, evergreens, what have you. It is a hobby that has gone rampant and which he has turned into a successful business. He definitely has the unusual. Perusing his web page I think you may be referring to a false cypress. Finding this specimen locally might be difficult.

Rich's webpage is a little difficult to navigate, but I think this page link might help you: http://www.richsfoxwillowpines.com/HTML ... 20page.htm

I am guessing either Hinoki or one of the Nootka falsecypress...

Hope this is helpful.
KCGirl

Thanks, DryGulch

Post by KCGirl »

Thanks for the information link. It looks as though it should steer me in the right direction.

Cheers!
KCGirl :)
KC Girl
KCGirl

Thanks, LucyGoose

Post by KCGirl »

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm already enjoying the Forum. I looked over your list of Hostas... my mission this spring is to landscape the front end of our 4 acres with different hostas down the driveway fencing and then daylillies in small areas that we've had to weed-eat in the past. I think that they might be good things for a beginner to mess around with.

Any suggestions you have are welcome!
KC Girl
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Suggestion: Mix some spring bulbs in with the hostas and daylilies for early color. :wink:
treelover3

Post by treelover3 »

Can you describe the foliage? What is the color (blue, green, ?) and does the plant have needles or scale-like foliage?

I'm guessing that the tree is a Chamaecyparis (Xanthocyparis or Callitropsis) nootkatensis cultivar. The botanists are not quite sure what the correct name of this plant is, but Chamaecyparis is the most commonly used name. There are quite a few cultivars of this plant and if the trunk is curved, then the propagator has trained the plant to look like this prior to the plant being sold.

Here is a link to a picture of Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Jubilee' which is a narrowly weeping form of Nootka falsecypress:

http://www.iseli-nursery.com/images/pho ... ubilee.jpg

Another option is that the plant is Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula'. (My dream tree, but I can't grow the plant here in zone 4 - bummer). Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' is a weeping cedar and people sometimes get the names mixed up and call the plant a cypress.

Here is a link to a picture of Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' (on the right side of the photo with the curved trunks):

http://www.mchutchison.com/images/vends ... la(26).jpg

Do you have the magazine article and a scanner? Could you scan the picture of the plant and post it here. I could tell you what it is, for sure, if I could take a look at it.
Thanks,
Mike
New Topic Post Reply