Watering the new rhododendron

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Relayer56

Watering the new rhododendron

Post by Relayer56 »

Just put in the new rhododendron (Nova Zembla) yesterday. Did my best with prep, hole and all.

High temp here in GA was about 70 yesterday and today and sunny.

Question is: how often do I need to water initially, and how about in a month or so?

Thanks
Ken
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Nice choice Ken! You will enjoy this red one that does take the heat of your area and colder climate. According to what I know about rhododendron which is a evergreen shrub like azaleas, they are a acid soil lover also. They need more air in the root zone than any other garden plant, need constant moisture supply with fast draining and moisture retentive. Poor drainage will cause the roots to rot and yellowing of the leaves. Enjoy and don't keep it to wet.
Relayer56

Post by Relayer56 »

I'm watering it about every couple of days. I hope that's ok. It's a nicely shaped plant, and it has buds that will probably opend in the next 4-6 days, I would guess.

I put my best effort into the hole in order to try and give it its best chance. The fellow helping me at the nursery center said that the has terrible luck with Rhodies. Hope none rubbed off on me!

Ken
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

Looked at a "Nova Zembla" today and almost bought it. A very pretty red.
Billy
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I know nothing about the sort of temperatures or weather you get in your area, so will offer no advice on how often you should or should not water. Enough to say that over watering is as lethal to a plant as under watering. An annual feed with miracid is beneficial to rhoiddies and azaleas
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
New Topic Post Reply