Pieris Japonica

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Pieris Japonica

Post by Soummer »

Shouldn't this baby be blooming or at least budding by now? Could the freeze of a week or so ago have done it in for this year?
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I hope your weather hasn't disturbed the cycle of this beautiful shrub for you Janet. Over here the first brilliant flush of rich pink is just fading to that most equally beautiful creamy colouration. The variegated form is just showing its pink new leaves ... it isn't quite as proliferous as the Forest Flame variety
This is a pic of both together ......
Attachments
pieris19.JPG
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Need to ask if you trimmed this one? If so when? Yes the freeze can stop the blooms but also if you trim then at the wrong time this too can stop the blooming process for the next year. Time to trim is right after they bloom no several months afterwards. I'll be wacking our back as the last bloom drops. That is also time to take cuttings.
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

The only time I trimmed it was just this year, removing only obvioulsy dead wood. I don't know if the dead wood was age or disease or freeze :???: There is new growth, but I can't get close enough in this cold rain to see if there's any buds.

I did see some at the nursery yesterday, and they were just begining to bloom. So maybe it's just not the right time yet. Hoping so!
My Page

kHT

Post by kHT »

Any signs of blooms yet? I also thought if it's a young plant it might not bloom.
Soummer

Post by Soummer »

No signs of blooms, but I am finally getting some RED growth!

As for age/blooming, it was blooming when I bought it.

I've decided to blame everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) on this weird weather. How could a plant know what to do when one day it's 80 and the next it's snowing???
My Page

kHT

Post by kHT »

Janet, some of the nurseries force them to bloom for show and then sometimes it will take a year after this to bloom and your right it could of been the weather too!
New Topic Post Reply