What kind of Oak is this?

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

Kas

What kind of Oak is this?

Post by Kas »

Six years ago my oldest son planted a bunch of acorns in one of my planters that I had collected in various places. One of them came up! When we moved, I just dug it up and put it in a gallon pot thinking we would plant it at the new house. Well, here we are and it is still in the pot six years later :o . Seems to be doing great. I really want to plant it, but this will not be our final home and I might kill it if I move it. I also do not have a spot for it since my DH won't let me plant it under the apple tree. I wanted to do that so I can eventually cut that thing down. Horrible apples and it attracts carpet beetles that mate on it. :eek:

Anyway, any guesses on what type of Oak this could be? It is possible that it is our native Gerry Oak, but I also collected some from my inlaws in Florida.

Thanks!
kas
Attachments
DSCF0279.JPG
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Kas, it looks like Post Oak to me. Quercus stellata
Could Gerry oak be a regional name. I've never heard of that one.....not that that means a bunch. :lol: :oops: :lol:
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Quercus garryana (Garry Oak) has a leaf very similar to that.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Thanks guys. I bet it is the Garry Oak. I picked a bunch up in town. They are everywhere in Oak Harbor. That is why they called it Oak Harbor! You have to get a permit from the city to even trim one that is in your yard because they were getting cut down at a high rate of speed by developers.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Thanks KellieD! Old dogs really do like to learn new "stuff". :wink:
New Topic Post Reply