Tulip Tree Question

Use this area to discuss trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Tulip Tree Question

Post by JaneG »

Like much of the country, we've had very little rain in the past month (just half an inch). I've been watering the beds but usually don't worry about the established trees.

All the trees seem to be doing okay, except the Tulip Tree. It has LOTS of leaves turning yellow and falling. It looks like autumn under the tree because of all the leaves.

Are tulip trees extra sensitive to drought? It's a 50 foot tall established tree. Should I worry? Should I try to water it and how much would it need? My water bill is already sky-high.

Or will it do fine and I shouldn't worry?
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Okay, I have answered my own question. I'll post it here for anyone else who might be interested.

As it turns out, Tulip Trees are not especially drought tolerant. Because of the large leaf surface they lose a lot of water through their leaves. Drought stress will cause the leaves to turn yellow and drop. It's common during dry spells. Sort of a defense mechanism so they don't lose as much water through the leaves (fewer leaves on the tree, less moisture loss). Unless it's a prolonged and severe drought, the tree will be okay.

I feel better now, my tree is just doing what is normal. :D
JaneG
Snow

Post by Snow »

I found out that Rose of Sharon is not drought tolerant, despite my best efforts at supplementing water. Took two straight years of drought to lose both - one was over 6 feet tall. :x
~*Snow*~
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks Snow, that explains why 2 years in a row the buds on my have dried up and fallen off before they ever bloom. And it's not growing as fast as I would expect. Yes, I planted it in a fairly dry area and I don't water it. I guess I'll have to "Move it or Lose it"!
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Jane, how do your plants do around that tulip tree. I have one and not real happy with it. It was about 2 years old and got hit I think by lightening or something. The main trunk was damaged, and it sent up suckers. :( Now it's rather a bush. But I was thinking about hosta near it? Is it typical like the maple for growing under?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

The tulip tree is in the middle of the back yard and is one of the few trees without a bed around it! :lol:

I'm not sure about it's roots, whether they are shallow or deep.

Anybody else planting around a tulip tree??
JaneG
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Hm..okay then, thanks anyway :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply